Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Smoking is bad

H23A1Lude
02-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Especially when I don't know why.
Took my motor out, replaces clutch, flywheel, oil pan & gasget, axles, etc.
Put it back in, but with the wrong power steering fluid. But that's not the problem. I just got gas for it, and I pulled into the garage and turned the light on, and there was smoke coming up from under the intake manifold area. At first I thought it was just oil and stuff from disconnecting hoses that burned off. But then I started listening and I kept hearing a sizzle sound every few seconds. So something is leaking on the exhaust (mu guess) but I'm not sure what. Any ideas what it could be. I know putting the wrong PS fluid in can mess up the seals throughout the power steering, but would that cause leaks?
If anyone can help me I'd REALLLLY appreciate it. Thanks. :confused:

kris
02-01-2009, 10:52 PM
My first thoughts on the under manifold sizzle, and smoke, is a coolant leak. There are quite a few coolant lines up under there that can leak. Oil usually does not sizzle when it hits the exhaust.

H23A1Lude
02-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Yeaahh. I looked under the car about 10 minutes later, and there was a lovely puddle of coolant.
So while the system was pressurized, I pushed on some hoses, and two have little cracks in them, and, when presses on, they pee coolant out.

Add your comment to this topic!