Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Creaking sound coming from steering column

venturenot
02-01-2009, 02:50 PM
I hear a fast clicking creaking sound everytime I make fairly sharp turns to the right or left. It is only noticable at slow speeds and especially noticable when in reverse turning out of a parking space. The noise sounds like it is directly inline with the steering column and coming from the very front (towards engine) under the dash. I checked the power steering fluid and it is fine. I do not hear the sound at speeds above about 2o miles per hour. It is definitely not the groan that you hear with low power steering fluid but rather like someone is stepping on a very creaking board that sometimes includes a rythmic creaky click. Any ideas? Thankyou.

LMP
02-02-2009, 08:24 AM
I have something that could be close to this description: it is the rubber bellows over the tie rod that follows the movement by slipping with discrete increments instead of a continous slip....may be not your case, but check that out first...then, the ball joints if they have same age as car (1998) (riveted, originals; bolted on: aftermarket)

venturenot
04-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the help. The front sway bar was replaced and the noise has gone away. Now waiting for the next problem. The car runs great yet there always seems to be something.

Add your comment to this topic!