Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gear indicator problem

ecamc
01-31-2009, 09:13 PM
My son just bought a used 98 Splash (automatic). The only weird thing is that the gear indicator never leaves Park. Not so bad, it doesn't take long to figure out what gear you are in, but just wondering if anyone has ever had the same issue, or knows how to fix it.

Thanks,
EC

yotermanic
02-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Take the clamshell off the steering colun and the kneeboard off the driver's side dash. This indicator works off of a cable that passes under the steering column and attatches to the indicator on the instrument cluster. Chances are, the thing has become disconnected or the cable is broken. Lots of times these get broken when someone removes a steering column or an instrument cluster and is not careful to remove the cable beforehand. If the thing has just become disconnected from the shift lever, however, it is an easy fix that'll make you a fifteen minute hero.

timd
04-25-2015, 08:20 PM
This works on a 2002 Ranger! The plastic adj nut had stripped but I was able to space it so that it is accurate again.

Keg914
09-26-2016, 09:29 PM
Had the same problem with a 2001 Ranger XLT. This is a good solution. You can also find videos on YouTube that help.

max_10
09-30-2016, 09:22 AM
My friend had the same issue, don't know what it is though?

_________
Max<<_10 (https://moneybanker.no/)

Add your comment to this topic!