Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hood latch problem

LXA
01-31-2009, 04:39 PM
93 Rodeo w/ 234000 mi. The main hood latch will not engage. The "safety" is fine but allows air to get under the hood and shake it. It looks to me like there is a small spring deep in the bottom left (as looking at the front) of the latching mechanism that has rusted and is broken. Also, right side of the hood is higher than the left. I drive the truck mostly on side roads and not very far, but I'd rather not end up with the hood in my face at some point. :headshake Any suggestions as to how to fix it myself (as opposed to paying $100+ at the shop) would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

FL 3.2L
01-31-2009, 04:50 PM
Check the rubber bumpstops at the front of the underside of the hood. They can easily be adjusted by screwing them in or out as needed. They may need to be replaced. If they are too far in the hood, the hood won't spring up when you release the latch.

LXA
01-31-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned in my OP that I looked over previous posts and tried that. I both loosend/tightened the bumpers and went so far as to remove them. After removing the right bumper, that side was still higher. No difference with both out. I've also kept WD-40 in business this year by spraying the heck out of the latch. I keep thinking it has something to do with the spring in the bottom. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Add your comment to this topic!