Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 cavalier problem. No power, 8 DTC codes

jmebonner
01-31-2009, 01:32 PM
*Realized right after I clicked that I should have put this in a different forum, sorry mods!

Well, this has been a recurring issue and as should be pretty obvious, we don't want to throw a bunch of cash at it unless there's a real likelihood that it will work. It's the 4cyl 2.2 motor and has about 110k on the clock.

It's my mom's car and she doesn't really want to have to buy a different one. It just lacks power and doesn't run smooth. The motor will search while the car's in idle sometimes (not always!) and it'll do it on acceleration as well. We swapped the coils and still had a couple cylinders missing, so we got a new module and can't really tell a difference. We've made sure the catalytic's not clogged as well as a lot of other routine checks.

I pulled the codes today and here's what I got. For what it's worth, I pulled the codes after a 30 mile drive.

42 - Electronic Spark timing error
33 - MAP error
32 - EGR recirculation error
24 - Vehicle speed sensor error
23 - Manifold air temp error
21 - TPS error
14 - Coolant error
13 - O2 sensor not toggling

There's a lot of junk wrong here, I know. I'm just wondering from you guys whether there's some type of common denominator that might cause a lot of these errors.

If you have ANY ideas they'd be greatly appreciated.

J-Ri
02-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Start with the MAP error. That will definately cause your problems. Air temp being wrong could make the problem worse. Also, if you didn't already, clear the codes and fix the ones that come back immediately.

jmebonner
02-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Thank you for the input J-Ri! We'll do the MAP first thing and see where it leads us.

Add your comment to this topic!