Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 escape odd noise

kool_zero
01-30-2009, 08:11 AM
I have an 02 escape that just recently started making what sounds like an r/c car noise when driving. I just had the power steering pump replaced as I was told by 3 different people that was the issue. When start it, you kind of hear the noise, and when you give it gas, you can really hear it. Any ideas?

rhandwor
01-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Pull the belt and start it gun it then shut down if it goes away spin the idler pulleys. Normally you can feel a bad bearing. Try the alternator bearing next.
I've changed a power steering pump recently on my car it blew oil so bad I needed another pump.

65comet
01-31-2009, 08:36 AM
On mine it was the bearing in the alternator. When it made the noise, I took a length of hose putting one end to my ear and the close to the powersteering, idler pulley then alternator to be sure which one was causing the squeal. Just putting my head in close wasn't enough to distinguish for sure what was bad. They have stethescopes for mechanics at most parts stores, but the hose has worked pretty good for me.

kool_zero
01-31-2009, 07:00 PM
was it expensive to replace? i will give this a shot tomorrow. thanks for the input so far!

rhandwor
01-31-2009, 08:19 PM
If you can do it yourself get the bearing number and check. Some ebay stores sell alternator bearings.
Otherwise go to an alternator shop and they will install a new bearing for you and check out alternator. Otherwise your looking at a rebuilt at a parts store.

Add your comment to this topic!