Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

speedometer needle jumps/erratic

bansheetaz
01-30-2009, 07:22 AM
95 geo metro 1.0 5 speed. at slow speeds the speedo needle jumps and as you go faster it smooths out but still is twitchy. i took the guage out and spun the needle with a drill eliminating the cable and transmission and it still twitchy. does anyone have any tricks to fixing this or am i gonna be living with it?

thanks

DOCTORBILL
01-30-2009, 08:40 AM
If it does the jumping with a drill, I would say it is time to visit a Pull & Save
and get yourself another speedometer - or buy one from a wrecking yard.

Were it the cable, I'd have you look at
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=925394

But it sounds like the Speedo itself is T.U.

It happens...

DoctorBill

bansheetaz
01-30-2009, 09:20 AM
thats what i thought. its still working so ill probly just run it till it quits. funny thing is that i have another one out of a junked 94 metro that does the same thing so i figure it might be a common problem. thanks for the input.

doug7x
01-30-2009, 05:23 PM
lube the cable...un-hook it from the trans, hold it up in the air, & put several drops of light (5W30) motor oil on the cable itself (not the outer housing) Hold it up in the air long enough for the oil to run its' full length (3 or 4 mins) I usually just wipe off my dipstick on the cable once or twice & this seems to do the trick. Worst case, you'll need a new cable...speedo is prob. still fine.

Add your comment to this topic!