Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Pump replacement for 01 sable Vulcan

jc97sub15004x4
01-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Have my tank down, have the metal o-ring removed.. I can't get the pump body to come out.the off white plastic bodied one,.... well.. haynes manual saids get it out,.. but is there any special tool that I need to get it out..?? it turns very little to the counterclock wise,.maybe a 1/8 of an inch.. and dead stop..tried tunrning back and fourth,.. no luck..I see two little handles,.. and two tiny holes,.. but don't know what goes in there.. maybe some special tools to put on to turn..?? :uhoh:

I started this,.. cause there was no whizzing sound to begin with,..( no start,.. cranks but,..no fire) changed the fuel pump relay,.. no luck.. pulled out the fuel rail,.. no gas was coming out.. .. took out the fuel filter hose,. and turned the key on, and no gas.. just little poured out when I took the hese out,.. but I turn the key,.. nothing. no fuel is coming out.I think I hear little weak tick..??in the trunk area, each time I turn my key to on position .. well.. no wheezing sound,,,, I suppose it's the fuel pump,.. it's got 140k,.. and seems to be the original,, no signs of it being replaced ever... got it used.. so.. don't know the full history..:confused:

after this is fixed,.. I have to check the fan for the vent... it does not work either.nothing... I'll do search about this as well,.. but if you have some good tips on it as well,.. let me know too... :eek7:

anyways,.. anyone with same type/year car must have done this before,.. and your help will be appreciated,.. thanks.. jc..

jc97sub15004x4
01-30-2009, 12:50 AM
O.k.. got it out finally,.. that was a tricky one... anyways,.. got it all replaced,.. and it's whizzing,. and shooting gas all the way to the engine,... that's a good sign... but,.. stupid me,... I know,... it's leaking gas in the injector area... and well.. as I said,.. I'd checked the injector area first... that's why.... can anyone help me with this one,,??? there must be some trick to fit the injectors to be tight... in the injector holes... I'd tried to push it in tight,.. but the upper part that fits into the fuel rail is leaking... thanks in advance.... jc..

65comet
01-30-2009, 08:05 AM
You may have nicked the o-ring for the injector, or it may have shifted out of position. Pop off the fuel rail and inspect the o-rings, then carefully put it back on again. When it is lined up, I sometimes lightly, and I mean lightly, tap at each injector with a rubber mallet to be sure they are fully seated.

jc97sub15004x4
01-30-2009, 08:29 AM
thanks for your quick reply... I'm checking through forums,.. and I found some people are talking about the clamp..?? to put pressure on the rail,.. when I install the rail back.. is this true..?? of course,.. it would be good to pressure down the rail when putting it back... when putting the bolt back to hold down the fuel rail back... ...???:eek7: any infos on this will be helpful..

anyways,.. I'll check the o rings today,.. and see if there are any cracks that might have on them.... I'll post the outcome,.. thanks... jc..

jc97sub15004x4
01-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Allright.. you're absolutely right... 65 comet... as I took the rails out again,.. I found o-ring totally busted,.. into two pieces.. where the injector rail connects to the injector... that's where the leak was... great.. found the problem,..there is a little leak on the inner side as well,.. for I took out both side of the rail.. have to take the intake manifold as well.. stupid me.. why did I even check both rails in the beginning as well.. very time consuming.... but where can I buy the o-rings..?? I looked up in the autozone web site,.. and it really does not list it..I'll do some more research on it.. and see if can locate some o-rings... thanks a lot 65comet... that was great help... really appreciate it.. look out for me,.. as I progress,.. I might run into more problems in very near future... thanks again..... jc..:p

jc97sub15004x4
01-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Great..!!! that was it.. went to autozone,.. and they had the o-rings in stock.. it was five dollars,.. for the set of four.,, and replaced the two that was leaking,.. and it.... BROOM... fired... great feeling,... well ... it needs some other work,.. so I'll get busy...

as I said,.. my vent fan won't do nothing at all,... totally dead,.. so that will be my next thing to look.. I might have to post another thread,..

thanks... to 65 comet... you rock...////!!!!----&&22###@!^&*&*

jc97sub15004x4
02-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Not to be happy so soon...!!! after fixing the injector rings,.. I started the car next day,.. and cel; p0453 popped up..??evap. emission control sensor input high...??? well.. the car starts fine,.. drives o.k.. same as before,.. I wonder what I'm faced with now.. can anyone help me..?? had the same code thrown to you before..?? your help is appreciated..jc..:shakehead

Add your comment to this topic!