Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

NEED SERIOUS HELP NOW!!!! please!

bowtieboy12
01-29-2009, 01:11 PM
2004 4.3L 4wd. i just installed a stereo system and now the thing is not right. it starts but slow and low rpms then builds up. it wont shut off with the key, just keeps running. when you put it into gear, it dies out. wtf!?!?! i ran a wire through the firewall next to where the main harness comes through, ands then through the boot under the hood. my only guess is that i hit some wires somehow??? i was extra careful not to. please someone help, im stranded and got no idea what to do?!?!?! i appreciate any suggestions and input, thanks guys.

j cAT
01-30-2009, 06:21 PM
2004 4.3L 4wd. i just installed a stereo system and now the thing is not right. it starts but slow and low rpms then builds up. it wont shut off with the key, just keeps running. when you put it into gear, it dies out. wtf!?!?! i ran a wire through the firewall next to where the main harness comes through, ands then through the boot under the hood. my only guess is that i hit some wires somehow??? i was extra careful not to. please someone help, im stranded and got no idea what to do?!?!?! i appreciate any suggestions and input, thanks guys.

in cases like this it is best to carefully remove your stereo system and return it to original..as you do this take care and see if you can find what you damaged....

running wires thru the firewall can be a problem if you don't know what your doing....

a long time ago my first car i drilled directly into my voltage regulator resistor...in those days you had generators ......

jdmccright
01-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Could be a short in the ignition switch. What wire did you run through the firewall? I don't recall having to do that for a stereo, even for the radio memory. There are wiring harnesses you can buy to connect to the factory GM radio, but can't be sure for your app. Where did you take your other power taps from?

I'd agree with JCat, back yourself out of the install a little at a time...chances are you forgot a connector or as you said could have nicked a wire in the process. Disconnect the rogue wire first, then the radio power, antenna, etc, and look for any stray damage, melted wire, or other oddity. Hope this helps!

Add your comment to this topic!