Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 Dodge B3500 Van. No Charging. 340,000 miles

vince2010
01-28-2009, 01:30 PM
I was warming up my van yesterday and the idiot generator light came on. The voltage gauge was not at the usual 13.7 V, but 11.7 V. The voltage regulator is inside the PCM. Currently, the idiot generator light is off, but Battery Voltage is 12.0 V (not running) and 11.7 Volts (vehicle running). There is also a temperature sensor. Cold temperatures makes the alternator produce higher voltages and vice versa. Will try the various test recommended by the service manual. Measure sensor resistance, difference in floating voltages of Field Voltage and alternator ground, belts, and ultimately taking the alternator to Autozone.

Any suggestions appreciated.:smokin:

alloro
01-28-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm sure you're going to find that the alternator is just no good.

vince2010
02-02-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm sure you're going to find that the alternator is just no good.

The alternator was replaced, but the fan belt slipped onto the automatic pulley tensioner without loosening the tensioner. :eek:The 7 year old fan belt was compared with a 1 year old spare fan belt and 7 year old fan belt was stretched by a little over 1/8 of an inch. :cool:

The automatic belt tensioner (ABT) worked fine when loosening the belt. When installing the old serpintine belt, the ABT did not retract. After waiting 1 day, the ABT seems to work, but feels a little sticky. The van was started and the alternator works.:smooch:

I may have to replace the ABT later. Any suggestions if the ABT has to be replaced?:confused:

alloro
02-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Yes the ABT needs to be replaced. It's just a matter of time until it fails completely.

Add your comment to this topic!