Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Taking the bed off of 1996 Sonoma

bnp
01-28-2009, 01:04 PM
We have 1996 Sonoma that we need to take the bed off of to replace the fuel tank. Does anybody know how to remove the bed or have any advice for installing the fuel tank?
Thanks

brcidd
01-28-2009, 06:27 PM
I take the bed off those trucks to replace fuel pump-- to replace the fuel tank- I would not bother-- but there are 6 or 8 bolts that hold the bed to the frame- I take all those out- and all that is left is the fuel tank filler neck and the tailight wires- which I usually leave attached and just tip the front of bed up high enough to sit on the tire and work on fuel pump- I use an overhead hoist- but it can be done with four people picking it up...if you have enough buddies around...

bnp
01-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the advice. Even with the fuel pump assembly having to be reinstalled with the tank (sorry i didnt include the pump in the description) do you reccomend doing the work from the bottom? Another question to go with that though is whether or not the truck (a regular 4wd with no lift and stock tires) would be high enough to do the work or if would have to be raised, if so would a regular garage jack and stands lift it high enough, unfortunatly it doesnt currently run because the mechanic removed the previous tank while it was on a lift and it was towed home, so i cant use any ramps.
Thank You for your time and knowledge
BP

brcidd
01-29-2009, 08:07 AM
I would use a floor jack and lift the truck up high enough to slide the ramps under two front wheels- alternate the ramps so truck won't try to roll off- and then use jack stands for the rear axle. The truck needs to be up high enough to easily slide the tank under -

Since the tank is already off- might as well work from the bottom- nothing saved by taking the bed off now IMO.

bnp
01-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Okthanks

Add your comment to this topic!