Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 Avalon - Ignition issue

Yonkin
01-27-2009, 01:47 PM
1999 Toyota Avalon - 175K Miles

Runs great but ........... periodically (with increased frequency) turn ignition over and nothing (dead - no starter rollover, etc). Immediately turn again and no problems --- turns right over. Not a battery problem, already checked this out. Sounds like it could be a starter switch but looking for ideas. I suspect one day it will just go out.

If a starter swithch can a layman with limited knowledge handle. I replaced in a 1990 Honda Accord but not sure about the the Avalon.

Brian R.
01-29-2009, 01:47 PM
It is likely that your problem is with worn or sticking starter solenoid contacts. You can replace the contacts and clean up the solenoid, or you can replace the starter. The normally-purchased starter is rebuilt. Unless you opt for the best possible rebuilt unit, you have no guarantee that the rebuilder has replaced the contacts - so you may be at the same point you are now.

Yonkin
01-31-2009, 08:25 AM
Thanks - I very much appreciate the help. I don't work much on cars. Is this something I can do or do I need a professional. Is there a web site that provides instructions to do this work?

thxs

Brian R.
01-31-2009, 06:31 PM
Check the FAQ thread in the Camry forum for relevant information. Yes, you can do it yourself.

Add your comment to this topic!