Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Battery/OnStar problems

Cbpcop
01-26-2009, 11:00 PM
My inlaws bought a Lucerne last year and to date are having two problems as we speak: Something in the vehicle is killing the battery without benefit of the ignition being engaged or even having the key in the switch. Recently went out of town for three wks and came back to the new battery dead. Problem #2: The OnStar system works when it wants to which is intermittent at best. More off than on and currently not in operation now. Any suggestions would be of help. Sorry but I don't have the vehicle particulars but I'm hoping the nature of these problems is not too model specific. Thanks in advance for any help.:screwy:

polarzak
01-29-2009, 06:22 AM
My inlaws bought a Lucerne last year

My condolences to your in-laws for owing a Lucerne.

The battery problem is called a "parasitic draw" and can only be determined what is draining the battery with a test. If you have a meter, you can check across the battery to see if if you have this. Search on the net for "parasitic draw" for instructions if you have a meter tester. It will be a real hunt to find what component is at fault. Mine had it, and killed the battery. Fortunately warranty bought a new one and fixed the problem.

As for OnStar, probably something loose. Sorry not much help, but if the vehicle is still under warranty, take it back and let them take care of it.

The Lucerne is a terrible vehicle, at least in my experience. Read my thread "The Lucerne is no Buick" I just had to have the rack and pinon steering replaced. Have never heard of this going on a GM product. Again, thanks to warreanty it was replaced.

GM has extended my warranty as there is a terrible noise in the transmission that they cannot find a cause. Once the warranty is up, my piece of junk gets traded for something reliable. That would be my advice to your in-laws also. Good luck to them...they are going to need it.

polarzak
01-29-2009, 07:32 AM
[QUOTE=polarzak Search on the net for "parasitic draw" for instructions[/QUOTE]

Found this for you.
http://flashoffroad.com/electrical/Batteries/BatteryDrain.html

Cbpcop
01-31-2009, 12:18 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for the info. I'll pass it on to the in-laws for theirs as well. As it is, they aren't real happy with the situation right now, especially with the onstar system inop. We'll start from there and see where it goes. I'd conduct the tests myself but I'm in South Florida and they are in the Missouri so that's an unfortunate no-go. I'll keep the site posted as to what they find..:screwy:

Add your comment to this topic!