Hard Start after getting gas

gdawg415
01-26-2009, 01:06 AM
I have a 2006 Cobalt and I took it to the dealership because my check engine light was on. They supposedly had to replace an emissions part.When I picked it up it was low on gas so I went to fill up. I went to start the car and it took me about 2 minutes to get it started. It sounded like it wanted to die but I finally got it to stay on. I drove the car for a week and then the check engine light came back on. I took it back to the dealership and they said it was an evap code and they resealed my gas cap and said it was fine. Well the check engine light came back on after a few days and everytime I gas up the car is hard to start. Anyone have this problem or know what could be causing this since the dealership obviously is clueless.:banghead:

rodeo02
01-31-2009, 06:24 AM
If the problem doesn't repeat regularly, it's very possible a dealer service dept can't trace it. You could have had water/ice in the tank causing a hard start situation.

Joel

chan-man
08-17-2010, 05:24 PM
I too was having this same problem with my daughters cobalt. When the steering recall came I figured while they were fixing that problem they could look for the cause of the hard start. They replaced the purge solenoid and so far it looks like that was the problem. I hope this helps somebody.
The Chan-man

pato2424
09-11-2010, 05:01 PM
i have the same issue with my 2008 cobalt, the only difference is that the engine light came on and the code is P0496 EVAP high purg flow fault, and gen i go to get gas i have the same isuse that it feels like it does not want oto start,
where is the location of the purge selenoid?

AutoService101
09-11-2010, 05:53 PM
I believe the purge soliniod is located on the left side of the engine above the exhaust manifold, closer to the fire wall.
What exactly did the dealership replace on your first visit? All you told us was a emmisions component. That could mean a lot of things. Do you know what codes you originally had??
Also was wondering if you over fill you fuel tank when you fill with gas??

pato2424
09-11-2010, 06:16 PM
i have not taken my car to any dealer, i conected the scanner to my car myself that is when i found the error code P0496 and since i sew that some one else had kind of the same issue i was wondering where this purge selenoid was so that i can replace it myself.

AutoService101
09-11-2010, 06:22 PM
I have a 2006 Cobalt and I took it to the dealership because my check engine light was on. They supposedly had to replace an emissions part.When I picked it up it was low on gas so I went to fill up. I went to start the car and it took me about 2 minutes to get it started. It sounded like it wanted to die but I finally got it to stay on. I drove the car for a week and then the check engine light came back on. I took it back to the dealership and they said it was an evap code and they resealed my gas cap and said it was fine. Well the check engine light came back on after a few days and everytime I gas up the car is hard to start. Anyone have this problem or know what could be causing this since the dealership obviously is clueless.:banghead:

Was talking to the original poster.......:runaround:

AutoService101
09-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Sorry....Guess I was talking to both of you. :loser:

pato2424
09-11-2010, 06:31 PM
thank you AutoService 101.
is there something that i need to becareful when removing the old Purge Selenoid?:confused:

AutoService101
09-11-2010, 07:40 PM
No, it should be a straight forward procedure :p

Add your comment to this topic!