Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Alternator and A/C clutch

searcherrr
01-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Is it possible that if an alternator was bad that the a/c clutch engagement (especially and usually only on the 1st engagement after sitting for 1 day or more) could be affected?

IE: Very loud clanking of metal on 1st engagement, but thereafter it doesn't do it.

Reason I ask is I had the alternator replaced this past Friday and supposedly they did not touch the a/c clutch while working on everything, but now the a/c clutch isn't making the big clank metal/metal noise anymore like it was gonna jettison off of the pulley. Could erratic alternator voltage possibly cause this problem?

I am trying to discern whether or not my original OEM alternator was really bad and whether or not I just spent $350 parts/labor for nothing.

wiswind
01-25-2009, 02:01 PM
I read on your other thread about leaking at radiator cap, and wonder if coolant might get at the A/C clutch assembly and cause the noise?

If that was the original alternator, then I would not worry too much about the replacement......a lot of $$$ but I think that they run around $200 when you and I buy them.....and most any shop will charge more than what you pay at the auto part store......

I had engagement problems with my A/C clutch following my leaking evaporator core repair.....turned out to be the CCRM (which you have already replaced), the repeated cycling on/off when I was low on A/C charge was what the shop felt caused that......even though I had unplugged the compressor to keep it from cycling so much, until I got it into the shop for repair.

searcherrr
01-26-2009, 12:29 AM
Either they did something to my a/c clutch (and didn't say) to make it absolutely quiet now, or its the cold humid humid humid air we're having, or the alternator fixed the clutch harsh engagement problem.

searcherrr
01-26-2009, 07:25 PM
I talked to the shop again today and when the van was in last week all they did to the a/c was put a pressure gauge on the system. Perhaps the act of doing that relieved a bit of "too much pressure" because now the a/c clutch is almost completely silent.

Add your comment to this topic!