Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cam Synchro/Sensor: Clicking, rattling, metal tapping or clanking

searcherrr
01-24-2009, 06:30 PM
SYNCHRO - CAM SENSOR - The whole reason the ALTERNATOR was recently replaced was due to the clicking/rattling noise I hear only when the engine is fully warmed up. I only hear it then. Revving seems to make the sounds "less heard", but I still hear the rattling and as I rev with the throttle body lever I can feel the vibrations from whatever it is that is clicking/rattling.

The synchro and cam sensor were recently installed because it was found by another tech that the previous installation of them both with a new engine was 180 degrees backwards (installed on the exhaust stroke as they said). As I fear and have read, improper installation of the cam sensor/synchro can result in engine damage. The vehicle was driven for about 2000 miles with it installed wrong in the backwards position.

What type of engine damage could this have caused? Anyone know much about this? I know there is a geared shaft that the synchro turns further down below it, could this be what I'm hearing? What's most likely?

wiswind
01-25-2009, 02:05 PM
I mentioned on your other post that the syncro should be quiet.
Installation out of phase should not have caused it to make the noise......it is really easy to install that way as TDC happens at both exhaust and fire strokes.

As to what other damage might happen, I don't know.

searcherrr
01-25-2009, 11:49 PM
If TDC happens at both exhaust and intake strokes would it make sense that internal engine damage isn't likely? IE: Since mine was on the exhaust stroke..

Any engine folk around deez parts?

searcherrr
01-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Turns out to be misdirection again. Its the idler pulley/tensioner. Its new like within 3500 miles, but i'm going back to OEM; on order. It just so happened to start making noise right after the synchro was installed making me think that was it. I confirmed it at 2 shops today and am gonna have my trusted shop replace it at no charge since they missed it and replaced a $300 alternator instead.

Add your comment to this topic!