2002 Nissan Sentra GXE No heat

atwell61
01-24-2009, 06:36 PM
I have a 02 Nissan Sentra with 104k miles on it. Recently I've been getting no heat....

First it started off where as long the car was moving or the engine over 1000 rpm, I would get heat. Then I decided to check my coolant and saw that it was kind of low and I added more. Then for a couple days it got better. Until I started getting no heat at all.

I took my car into a shop and they drained and flushed my coolant system. They said sediment came out and after that the heat was working again. After a day same thing... No heat. I took it back and they said there was an air pocket in the coolant system? And that they bleed it out and that fixed it.

That was yesterday. Now today the heat was barely warm and got cold again. I had the thermostat replaced also a while back. They are saying I might need a new heater core which comes with 6hours labor so, I am looking at 700 dollars to fix it.

I don't know what to do next. I almost feel like getting rid of the car. Does any one have any suggestions?

discnik
01-24-2009, 08:17 PM
If they got sludge out of the system when they flushed it it sounds like your heater core is plugging up. Are you having to add coolant frequently ? Does the windshield get a film on it when using the defrost ? Are either front floor boards wet or a coolant smell in the car ?

atwell61
01-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Yea I did have to keep adding coolant. The first time my heat acted up, I checked the coolant and it was low. I added more and that fixed it for the time being. Its only been a couple days since I took into the shop and the coolant is still high. I haven't drove much so I can't really tell if it is still declining at the same rate it was before.

I am not sure about the film part on the windshield. It usually clears out the frost, at least i think so. As for the front floor boards, are you talking about the mats where I put my feet? if so yea they are wet because of the snow from my boots when I go in... but they don't seem to get wet un-naturally, although I haven't checked.

I am not too sure what coolant smells like... its a neutral smell in my opinion but I kinda smell something weird from vents sometimes when the heat is on. Maybe like something burning but not exactly. that could be the coolant smell.

discnik
01-25-2009, 10:45 PM
To see if the heater core still has sludge in it disconnect the heater hoses from the engine or heater, if from the engine make sure the heat select is on all the way hot, and using a hose run water through the heater core. If it is not pluged inside the vehicle under where the heater core is located see if the floor board carpet or under it is wet, ( Other than from the snow).

Feel for you guys in the North East.

Add your comment to this topic!