Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Caravan whining noise

samtheman22
01-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Has anyone had this problem? 2004 Dodge Caravan 3.3 77k..... I hear a whining noise that seems to be coming from the passenger side of engine, but can't pinpoint it exactly. Sometimes it whines sometimes it doesn't , most noticeable when turning and in cold weather. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.. Sam

tempfixit
01-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Has anyone had this problem? 2004 Dodge Caravan 3.3 77k..... I hear a whining noise that seems to be coming from the passenger side of engine, but can't pinpoint it exactly. Sometimes it whines sometimes it doesn't , most noticeable when turning and in cold weather. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.. Sam

I would say it is the power steering pump making the noise.

Could be a clogged screen in resorvoir, faulty pressure hose or just needs a fluid flush with new atf+4 installed.

Do a search on this forum using power steering fluid change and you should numerous threads refarding this issue with fluid changing procedures.
Also check for TSB's and RECALLs using the online service manual at top of page of this forum.

Good luck and keep us posted.

vipergg
01-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Yup my vote is on the ps pump. Drain the reservoir and refill with clean atf4 . Drive for a few weeks and change again.

appstech
01-28-2009, 08:28 AM
my vote would be check out the alternator decoupler. This model and engine are known for them wearing out.

appstech.

slider1568
01-28-2009, 08:58 AM
I have a 2006 Town & Country and for some reason I have to add power steering fluid about every 6 to 8 months, and I KNOW it needs it when it makes that sound when it is cold. I have no visible leaks and absolutely NO leaks on the driveway, very weird, but everytime that noise appears... power steering fluid is needed.

samtheman22
02-13-2009, 08:34 PM
I think I fixed the problem. A guy on another Dodge/Chrysler forum advised changing the power steering reservoir. I did that , replaced the fluid and the whining stopped immediately and so far has not returned. I tore apart the old reservoir and found a plugged screen, so I am thinking that was the problem. Total cost about $25 and took about 45 minutes to replace.

hundahunta
02-13-2009, 11:22 PM
yes there is a bulletin to change to reservior for a moan/fog type noise.

tengger
02-21-2009, 11:24 PM
also check ps hoses. there is a section on both high and low pressure that is rubber hydrilic hose. 15 bucks for a 3 ft piece you need 6in for each. or 70 or so dollars per line.

Ricki
03-30-2009, 04:30 PM
I have a 2004 Dodge caravan. It was whinning first thing in the morning whe the engine was cold. Once it warmed up the whinning of the power steering stopped. I did as was posted here and replaced the reservoir and that fixed the problem. Thank you all. This has saved me hunderds of dollars in repair cost. To placed the unit only took about 1 hour and cost about $40.00 from the dealer.:tongue:

Add your comment to this topic!