Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 TAHOE wont start then it starts!!

Bambiluv
01-23-2009, 03:00 PM
I have a 99 tahoe and I have checked the battery cables and my battery and there both fine lately you cannot start it unless I hotwire which my old mechanic taught me how to do this since the last year it just once in a great while it wouldnt start but hear lately it will not start at all unless I hotwire it or jump it. After I jump it it might turn over and start the next couple of times but after that I am hotwiring it again. It runs perfect after I get it started no problems what so ever. Sometimes you will get nothing just my dash lights come on but other times you hear this clicking sound. The times where after I jump start it...and turn the motor off and restart it...it hesitates like roo roo then it starts but like I said it only will start 2 or three times then it is back to not starting at all. If it is my starter then why will it start if I jump it? My check engine light is on but they cannot find a code. People always give me their two cents in the situation which I am up to hear anything dont get me wrong but I have friends telling me it is the starter.alternator and even some they say it is the wiring!! I do not like jump starting my truck I am afraid it will lead into other problems PLEASE help me!! I am not a mechanic I am a girl :p LOL and I just am frusterated :runaround: that my mechanic cant find codes and natuarally when I took it there it started right up!!!

j cAT
01-23-2009, 06:37 PM
the starter must be checked for the correct voltage to starter solenoid when key is turned to crank position...

if the voltage is at the starter solenoid and it don't crank it is most likely the starter is bad.....

if there is no voltage at starter solenoid then is a relay or ignition switch..

do not return to this mechanic you have been seeing as this person has no knowledge of troubleshooting electrical problems...

this is not rocket science...

Bambiluv
01-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Thank you I will get that checked I have had people tell me it was my starter. I am trying to get another mechanic as this one seems a little off :)

MT-2500
01-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Hot wiring the starter is dangerous and can get a person ran over and killed with there own truck. :nono: :nono: :nono:

Tips on finding a good repair shop.

Check around Ask around
Word of mouth.
Family friends coworkers neighbors business people and delivery people.
Mailmen and parcel delivery people get around and notice a lot of stuff.
Even a good parts house knows what shops are good and not good.
Chamber of commerce and better business bureau and city hall.
If you find a good referral to a repair shop go look them over and talk to them.
Look for a clean looking busy place with nice people running it.
Ask a few questions and ask about their qualifications and training.
Not all places have trained tech/mechanics.
If they do not find a place that does.
Even all dealers do not have all trained techs/mechanics.

Add your comment to this topic!