Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'96 Lincoln Con. Won't Start!!!!

WARGOD
01-23-2009, 12:33 PM
My wife bought a '96 Lincoln recently that needed a few things done to it. I replaced the power steering pump, the heater core, the head gasket, spark plugs, and thermostat. After putting everything back together, the car won't start, or even turn over!!!!! I have checked all the wires, fuses, battery and connectors, and even the alternator, and all are fine. Now I'm lost!!!!!! I can't check the starter because the air shocks are no longer aired up. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

chuckneste
01-24-2009, 09:15 AM
My wife bought a '96 Lincoln recently that needed a few things done to it. I replaced the power steering pump, the heater core, the head gasket, spark plugs, and thermostat. After putting everything back together, the car won't start, or even turn over!!!!! I have checked all the wires, fuses, battery and connectors, and even the alternator, and all are fine. Now I'm lost!!!!!! I can't check the starter because the air shocks are no longer aired up. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Hello, If the car wont even turn over the obvious would be a loose cable assuming it ran prior to the work you have done. Also a dead battery since you didn't mention it so we cant assume. Try jump starting the car with jumper cables and also can you at least turn the radio on ? is there any power at all to any accessories. Start with the basics and report back. Also go over the work you did to ensure nothing was knocked loose, removed or broken. I dont know what you did when you removed the heads but you probably disconnected alot of things.

Chuck

Chuck

WARGOD
01-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Chuck:

Thank you for your input. However, of course the first things I checked were the battery, the cables, and my work. The head lights go on and don't dim while I'm trying to turn the car over. The dash lights, interior lights, and radio all turn on also, however the dash lights do dim a little while trying to turn it over. The shocks are trying to air up, also. It just won't start!!!!!!:banghead:

discnik
01-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Can you test to see if there is power out of the red/ light blue wire, out of the ignition switch ?

WARGOD
01-26-2009, 08:09 AM
I know nothing about electrical stuff! I can tell you this, the ignition fuse keeps blowing. If you tell me how to check the wire, I will. If this changes what you're saying because of the fuse blowing all the time, please tell me what else I need to do.:confused:

chuckneste
01-27-2009, 07:12 PM
I know nothing about electrical stuff! I can tell you this, the ignition fuse keeps blowing. If you tell me how to check the wire, I will. If this changes what you're saying because of the fuse blowing all the time, please tell me what else I need to do.:confused:

Hello Again,

Well you have your issue narrowed down to the ignition circuit. We need to find a wiring diagram and see if something is related to something you perhaps removed or took apart. I guess you can physically check the wires from the alternator and starter. I am not sure about newer circuits but the older card had a live circuit between the battery and alternator and I assume the alternator was removed to do the heads. Does the battery drain when connected overnight? I am sorry that i am not much help but we need to start with the obvious . No magic involved.

chuckneste
01-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Hello Again,

Well you have your issue narrowed down to the ignition circuit. We need to find a wiring diagram and see if something is related to something you perhaps removed or took apart. I guess you can physically check the wires from the alternator and starter. I am not sure about newer circuits but the older card had a live circuit between the battery and alternator and I assume the alternator was removed to do the heads. Does the battery drain when connected overnight? I am sorry that i am not much help but we need to start with the obvious . No magic involved.. SH!!! I am a chevy guy. Can someone chime in to see if the starter can be bypassed. The old fords used a relay on the firewall that can be jumped.

chuckneste
01-27-2009, 07:17 PM
. SH!!! I am a chevy guy. Can someone chime in to see if the starter can be bypassed. The old fords used a relay on the firewall that can be jumped..

One more thought. My old Library had repair books on cars so you may check to see if they have one.

WARGOD
01-28-2009, 04:26 AM
Chuck:

I'm just glad someone is trying to help at all!!! To answer your questions. Yes, the alternator was removed because of the heads. The battery is brand new, and doesn't drain at all. The starter is fine and so is the silanoid (as far as I know). The car actually drove into the garage just fine, but now that everything is done, it won't do anything!!! I have a book on the car, but it doesn't say anything at all about any of this (go figure)!

What would cause the fuse to keep blowing? I even tried replacing the entire steering column, and that didn't make any difference!!!!:dunno:

chuckneste
01-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Ok, So you identifed an issue. If the Fuse belows immediately then you have a dead short so a positive wire is grounding out. If the fuse belows after you turn on the ignition, Then you still need to trace all components in that circuit and can still be a dead shot as well. If you connected a wire wrong, this will explain the issue. I have a 98 conti so I am not familiar with this car. I know I said this before but you need to back track at all your connections that was removed during any kind of work and recheck that you connected them correctly. If you have an electrical diagram, you can fax it to me or scan it and I can look at it. I am a computer guy but can figure these things out. No magic, I know its fustrating but it has to be logical.

chuck_neste@yahoo.com.

chuckneste
01-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Ok, So you identifed an issue. If the Fuse belows immediately then you have a dead short so a positive wire is grounding out. If the fuse belows after you turn on the ignition, Then you still need to trace all components in that circuit and can still be a dead shot as well. If you connected a wire wrong, this will explain the issue. I have a 98 conti so I am not familiar with this car. I know I said this before but you need to back track at all your connections that was removed during any kind of work and recheck that you connected them correctly. If you have an electrical diagram, you can fax it to me or scan it and I can look at it. I am a computer guy but can figure these things out. No magic, I know its fustrating but it has to be logical.

chuck_neste@yahoo.com.

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=90904&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20&sid=4c53aecfa913e0a2450ae6d7c964e3bd

email this guy for diagrams??
dstart@stny.rr.con <dstart@stny.rr.con>

Posted: Jun Wed 18, 2008 3:27 am http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/templates/xand/images/lang_english/icon_quote.gif (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/posting.php?mode=quote&p=715554) Don, I have the diagrams, PM or e-mail me your fax#. I can send them out in the morning. dave

discnik
01-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Can you check the White/Pink wire from the fuse to the gear selction switch, (Neutral Safety switch ), on the transmission. It sounds like a hot wire got pinched. The fuse that keeps blowing is it the one in the inside fuse block or the under the hood power distribution box ?

Another thought was the starter moved at all. I have seen where the main wire was either touching the block or the starter causing the fuse to blow.
Does the fuse only blow when it is in the start position or as soon as the key is inserted, or run position, etc.

Add your comment to this topic!