Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Instrument panel lts stay on

pmfc44
01-23-2009, 09:16 AM
My son was installing more stuff for his audio system (2004 S10 blazer) and he let the black and red/yellow wires touch and blew a fuse. He replaced the fuse and the radio works fine but now his instrument panel lights won't cut off when he turns the engine off. He has to dim them all the way down. He checked all the fuses, inside and out, but cannot figure out what he messed up. Anybody????

Chris Stewart
01-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Sometimes when a short occurs, the wires involved will melt the insulation and the insulation of wires packed tightly in the looms. It won't be pretty but the looms have to come apart and checked...some might be just getting ready to short with some serious wiring.
Anybody notice all the vehicles on the side of road dead that suffered fires the 1st week or 2 after Christmas?

pmfc44
01-24-2009, 01:19 PM
My son & I went out this morning and tried all different scenarios to see if we could figure out where to start looking. Somehow the e-brake and the fuse are affecting it too. Get this.......
1.Fuse in/e-brake off/engine on = panel lts stay on, won't dim
2.Fuse out/e-brake off/engine on = panel lts still stay on, won't dim
3.Fuse out/e-brake on/engine on = everything works fine
4.Fuse in/e-brake on/engine on = panel lts stay on, won't dim
The fuse I'm talking about is the parking lt fuse in the box by the drivers door. I'm sure it's a process of elimination and then checking the wiring, but WHERE does he need to start? Could it be the dimmer dial? Why would the parking lt fuse or the e-brake have anything to do with the panel lts? I know this is not a major problem.......unless he forget to dim the lts and runs his battery down, but it's bugging the H--- out of us.:confused:

Chris Stewart
01-26-2009, 05:48 AM
Yes, the dimmer panel is a good starting place. You might try loosely installing a wire tie on each bundle of wire before opening the bundle up to keep the wires organized.
You might check the '04 S10 Blazer manuals at your local auto parts store for basic wiring info.
Anyone familiar with this wiring?

jsgold
01-29-2009, 10:02 PM
I have a set of GM manuals for my 2004, can fax schematics for truck's guages and accessories, if that would help. Looks to be ten pages...might be able to email as well. I will take the books to work Friday 30th, if you wany them let me know...

Add your comment to this topic!