91 dodge spirit wont start.

Iamchris
01-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Hello. This is my second post here. New car, new problem. (Last time you guys helped alot. It was a brute force job of drilling out my ignition. The screwdriver was the best key I ever had).

But on to my new car. Its a 91 dodge spirit 4 cylinder. For a couple months it started accelerating more and more poorly. Then it got harder to turn it over, and when I did, if I didnt let it warm up for 10 minutes or so it would stall out as soon as I put it in reverse. Sometimes I had to put it in idle and rev the engine to keep it going. Then it wouldnt turn over at all. It wants to, it just won't. Any ideas?

discnik
01-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Have you cleaned the battery cables and terminals ?

How old is the battery ?

Try having the battery and alternator tested.

As far as performance it almost sounds like a plugged catalytic converter. If you hit the converter is there any rattling noise inside ?

Has this vehicle had a tune-up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air & fuel filter, compression test, recently ?

Just some thouhgts.

Iamchris
01-23-2009, 12:02 AM
It has a new battery and the alternator was replaced last year. It wont start even with a jump.

I just changed the plugs and wires within a month of if not starting at all.\

I doubt its had a full tune up for awhile. Up until I got it a year ago it sat in my grandpas garage only being used by his grandsons to take him to the grocery store once a week.

I never thought to tap the catalytic converter, but will give that a try also. What should I be listening for?

discnik
01-23-2009, 12:11 AM
It will not ,"start", or do you mean it will not,"crank" ?

Iamchris
01-23-2009, 12:23 AM
I dont know too much about cars if you haven't guessed. You probably have.

I can hear the starter doing what its supposed to do, but the car engine wont turn over. Once it did for a single moment, but I didnt have my foot on the gas to put the fuel through it to catch it.

discnik
01-23-2009, 12:50 AM
Ok your in cold weather country. If the engine is cranking, turning over, but not starting, firing, you can first try shooting some starting fluid into the throttle opening, if the engine runs, then you have a fuel problem. If it does not run then check for spark. Easiest way is to pull a plug wire, insert a plug into it and ground the plug threads to the engine block. Have someone crank the engine with the key. MAKE SURE THE VEHICLE IS IN PARK WITH E-BRAKE APPLIED, AND KEEP YOURSELF AND CLOTHING AWAY FROM ANY MOVING PARTS. You should have a strong spark between the spark plug gap. If not start troubleshooting the ignition system.

Add your comment to this topic!