Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Coil on Plug Insulator Boots

windryder
01-22-2009, 12:27 AM
I just changed the valve cover gaskets on my 2001 LS V-8 3.9Lwith 80k. The plug wells were full of oil as expected. The COP boots were oil soaked and spongie.
No parts store within 50 miles stocked Coil on plug boots! I had NAPA order the boots for me since they had the best price at $5.76ea.
It took them 2days to get them which wasn't bad.
The Part Number for the COP Boots is: NGK CPB-FD004, NAPA # 58926 just in case someone is looking for replacement boots. These NGK boots are identical to the stock ones I replaced....

shorod
01-22-2009, 06:46 AM
Good info. Did you have any misfiring prior to replacing the valve cover gaskets? If so, after a few trips with the engine at temperature, are you confident the new boots fixed the misfire?

-Rod

windryder
01-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Yes it had a bad misfire. Car would shake at idle, and sputter. I also changed the spark plugs when I had the valve covers off.
Since I couldn't get the boots right away I used the old boots. The misfire was worse. As soon as I installed the new boots the misfire was gone...
I read online that 50% or more of the coils returned are not bad. I believe that most of the problem is with the oil soaked boots, which were not available without buying the complete coil until lately..

P.S. I had put the NAPA part # for the boots not the NGK! I changed the numbers in the 1st post, so now they are right! Sorry bout that.....

Add your comment to this topic!