Page updated on 11-19-2017

Higher Amp Alternator

tblake
01-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Hi Guys, My friend asked me to do some research for him.

He's got a 2003 Chev Tahoe 5.3 V8

He's got it filled with a lot of electronics (HID's, Deck, AMP, Subs.....) and he says that the stock alternator can't handle everything he's got. In fact he unhooked his amp untill he can get a High Output alternator.

So, My question, Anyone know of any good places to buy a HO alternator?

Or is there anything he can do to his charging system to boost his amps and keep his headlights from dimming?

Thanks!

j cAT
01-20-2009, 02:46 PM
first off what is the load he is driving? this would determine the alternator required...or just guess at it...

because this load is unknown it would be best to locate in your area an electrical automotive shop that has the ability to determine what his needs are then modify the vehicle to allow the proper sized alternator..

be advised this just don't pop in ....its expensive but its better than buying alternators often..

BIIG PIIMPIIN
01-26-2009, 03:12 PM
I've just purchased a 200 amp alternator off eBay for my truck. Do a search for "200 amp" and make the purchase. Think about ambulances, and how much power output they require... lights, sirens, medical equipment. Those rigs use a 200 amp alternator. Should be more than enough power for your friends ride. Also, might consider a cap for the stereo system. Puts a little less strain on the charging system.

jdmccright
01-27-2009, 04:13 PM
BIGPIMPIN may be onto something. A higher output alternator may be what he needs along with a cap(acitor) to help even out the draw his stereo makes on the alternator. But I'll also side with jCat suggesting getting the pros involved. Those caps store alot of energy and can to serious damage (and injury) if not installed correctly.

For a base setup it's a pretty simple calc: Volts x Amps = Watts
12 x 120 = 1440

I don't know how much the truck itself requires, but any serious stereo can easily eat up most of that output with only a single amp or two. Add to the fact that most alternators don't provide their full power at engine idle, which is usually you're cruisin' speed. Bigger alternator, cap(s), and possibly a deep-cycle battery would be good investments. Talk to a stereo pro for the details & to be safe.

j cAT
01-27-2009, 04:51 PM
I've just purchased a 200 amp alternator off eBay for my truck. Do a search for "200 amp" and make the purchase. Think about ambulances, and how much power output they require... lights, sirens, medical equipment. Those rigs use a 200 amp alternator. Should be more than enough power for your friends ride. Also, might consider a cap for the stereo system. Puts a little less strain on the charging system.

perhaps you can give us your install recomendations,pulley /belt and other componets that need be changed to allow the physical installation of this alternator..and the engine year etc...

j cAT
01-27-2009, 04:55 PM
I don't know how much the truck itself requires, but any serious stereo can easily eat up most of that output with only a single amp or two. Add to the fact that most alternators don't provide their full power at engine idle, which is usually you're cruisin' speed..

my 2000 silverado with the a/c on and lights requires 66amps...I have measured this several times....this is with a fully charged battery at operating temp...no high current noise makers installed...

Add your comment to this topic!