Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

'00 Accord EX V6 Coupe Leaking oil

Dimension_X
01-19-2009, 01:08 AM
So I attempted to save myself some money and change my own oil. No biggie right? I have done this on other cars but this is the first time I have done it on my Honda. So, got the plug out, the filter off, drained all the oil. Basic stuff, replaced the plug and installed a new filter (yes I oiled the gasket on the filter) so its all good ready to go. Start her up and the oil filter is leaking. So I shut it off and tighten it more (so my own fault for not checking it) I stared it again, and its still leaks, slowly but still its a good little stream coming down. I asked my dad for help too...he couldn't get it any tighter. So we are at wits end. I think I am just going to run it quick to Shell around the corner in the morning. Anyone know why the filter is leaking? It just seems like something so trivial...like tighten it more? But we cant...and I know that can me a bad thing too. If anyone has any advice please pass it along.

somick
01-19-2009, 11:14 PM
If you are sure that the filter you installed is the correct one, than it is probably a bad filter. I have seen them being bad. Replace it with a different one and the leak should stop.

Good luck,

Sam

FrankVtec88
03-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Yea, make sure you have the right filter. I was doing an engine flush and put on the wrong 'filter' side attachment...it fitted on alright, but pissed oil all over me and the floor. Yup...

Add your comment to this topic!