Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 PA power steering issues and endlink question

rangerone766
01-18-2009, 05:28 PM
1st up is my power steering issue. when i first start up the car in the morning, the power steering works fine. after about 3 or 4 minutes i have no power steering at all. when i'm accelerating it works, but if i'm coasting i have none at all. i have no leaks and the reservoir is full. i assume the pump is bad, but not sure.

2nd question is- the driver side endlink looks to need replaced. i'm hoping thats the right name for it. its the steel rod that is about 4 inches long with a few bushings on it. it connects the anti sway bar to the a arm.

is that end link a do it your self type repair? or is it under tension, will i need an alignment after fixing it. i looked at autozone and seems to be a $10 part, i hope its a do it your self repair.

any input on my 2 problems would be much appreciated.

HotZ28
01-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Yes, you need a new pump and the end-links are easy to replace. Get the urethane replacement set. Be sure to get all the washers faced in the right position on the bushings!

rangerone766
02-11-2009, 07:30 PM
ty for the reply. i've been pretty busy lately, and forgot i had even made this post.

i picked up a bushing kit and plan to do the repairs this weekend. the power steering pump looks to be a mechanic job. i'm not that great of a wrench turner, so i'll pay someone to do the ps pump. but the end links look do-able.

kozmicgirl
06-12-2009, 11:40 PM
What would make you power steering whin all the time had the high pressure hose replace and this is what i hear all the time could any one help if you explain every detail because i will try and do it myself (female).

C man
06-13-2009, 02:48 AM
Does it whine at slow speed like when turning in a parking lot or parking. If so this is normal from what I know with these cars and many other cars. Slow speed from engine rpm = less pressure produced so the pump works harder.

ZiggyPA
06-13-2009, 02:59 AM
Also check the fluid level

C man
06-13-2009, 03:09 AM
Oh yeah...that the first thing u should do...forgot that :naughty:

Add your comment to this topic!