Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Maisto 1/24 assembly line kit, any good?

vaindioux
01-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi

I see these kits every time I go to my local craft store. I do understand that these are diecast and not plastic, the body is already painted and maybe I should post in a diecast forum, but I decided to post here as it's also a kit.
Do these Maisto kits build into nice cars or are they more like toys?
You might say "Buy one" and see for yourself, but I am not very knowledgeable about cars and wouldn't be able to notice if a certain model is accurate or not unless I drive that car myself.

I was just wondering

Thanks

Patrick

blubaja
01-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Well. They are diecast. The bodies are usually ok. But the interior and engine are simplified. Yes, they are kits. But are only unassembled diecasts you could buy for the same price, or cheaper. I usually would get one when I'm in a slump and just want to put something together really fast, just to satisfy building something for once.

Which kit in particular are you interested in?

vaindioux
01-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi

I was looking at the Lamborghini Murcielago (Kit #39238), a local store has it on sale for $7.99.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k53/vaindioux/MaistoLambo.jpg

Thanks for the answer

Patrick

blubaja
01-18-2009, 04:44 PM
That is a good deal, at that price. I say go for it. There is some detail painting you can do to it. To make it turn out a little better.

vaindioux
01-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the help, I will get it.

Patrick

drunken monkey
01-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Depending on what you want, the Maisto "kit" cars may be enough.

Be aware though, that the quality of detail in the moulding is not going to match up to a plastic kit's, the paint will not be as good as one you can achieve with a bit of practice and as said before, it isn't really much of a kit if what you want is something to build.

If what you want is a decent replica of a car by way of a die-cast, there are much better but they do come with a price tag.

If what you want is a kit, only a kit will do.

On a related note, sometimes, there simply isn't a kit of a car you want to have a model of and a die-cast is often the only way to go. There are a couple of examples of die-cast cars having been re-worked to improve the finish/appearance and some even use a die-cast car as a starting point for modifications.

These die-cast "kits" also serve as a good starting point in casting a decent copy of the body where there isn't a plastic kit of a car you may be after.

Have a look in the completed forum for examples of members' finished Fujimi Lamborghini Murcielago models and have a look at the Maisto car. You'll easily see the difference in the quality of finish.

Lownslow
01-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Have a look in the completed forum for examples of members' finished Fujimi Lamborghini Murcielago models and have a look at the Maisto car. You'll easily see the difference in the quality of finish.
said members are also very experienced builders and painters

drunken monkey
01-19-2009, 10:22 PM
and?
Point still stands, you can achieve a better finish than that found on the Maisto car, no?

And what do you need to do to get better at painting?
Paint.

You could of course buy the maisto car to paint because it is cheap but then that would involved removing the paint already on there which isn't always an easy thing. As I said, if you want to build a kit and learn from the building, get a kit.

Lownslow
01-20-2009, 05:49 AM
and?
Point still stands, you can achieve a better finish than that found on the Maisto car, no?

And what do you need to do to get better at painting?
Paint.

You could of course buy the maisto car to paint because it is cheap but then that would involved removing the paint already on there which isn't always an easy thing. As I said, if you want to build a kit and learn from the building, get a kit.
should he build the car he might not achieve the desired result. you can but with work, so can a diecast.

thats the fun they got strippers that can strip a car in a instant without toxicity. and you dont really need to strip it my challengers original paint was used as a base for the new paint all i had to do was sand it down like a real car. hes buying a kit, so it has to be plastic to be considered a kit thats the biggest croc ive heard so far.

drunken monkey
01-20-2009, 01:13 PM
what are you on about?

so it has to be plastic to be considered a kit thats the biggest croc ive heard so far.

Please point to where I said that if it's not plastic, it's not a kit?

If he wants to later on build, let's say a Model Factory Hiro full detail multi-media kit, what is he going to learn more from; a regular plastic kit or that maisto?

What part of screwing three parts together equates to what you do for a regular plastic kit?
Sure, as you say, you can strip and prep the body for paint as you would a regular plastic kit but you say that about any old bit of mass be it plastic or resin or metal.

My very simple point is this; is that maisto kit as good as the Fujimi kit?
From what can you learn more about the model kit building process; the Fujimi kit or the Maisto?

Veyron
01-20-2009, 01:51 PM
Hi

I see these kits every time I go to my local craft store. I do understand that these are diecast and not plastic, the body is already painted and maybe I should post in a diecast forum, but I decided to post here as it's also a kit.
Do these Maisto kits build into nice cars or are they more like toys?
You might say "Buy one" and see for yourself, but I am not very knowledgeable about cars and wouldn't be able to notice if a certain model is accurate or not unless I drive that car myself.

I was just wondering

Thanks

Patrick

Here's a Maisto Z4 and a Welly Audii TT 1/24 diecast that I rebuilt. They don't look anymore like toys than plastic models do as long as you fix any opening panel gaps, the wide gaps are a very 'toy' like characteristic of diecast. In many case they have better wheels and interiors than your average plastic model kit.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=336344

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=367836

Almost forgot about this Pagani I'm working on.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=475487

vaindioux
01-20-2009, 08:13 PM
Hi

Well I got 3 of these kits so far, at $7.99 ea. it's a good deal.
I got a Lambo Murcielago, a 1986 Chevrolet Monte carlo SS and a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T coupe.
I am new to the car modeling field and have a lot to learn.
I don't mean to compare a diecast kit with 3 screws to put together to a plastic kit and all the work it involves, I was just wondering about them that's all, as I saw some on sale.
Veyron's work on these diecast kits is amazing, I have no intention to reach that level of kit modeling but I admire what he does (I would love to seat next to a guy like that silently as he works on his kit).

Thanks for all the answers so far.

Patrick

sileightsix
01-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Fujimi. :icon16:

Add your comment to this topic!