Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Airbrushes advice needed

zeptrader
01-18-2009, 06:22 AM
Hello,
Could I get some feed back on some decent airbrushes on the market, now I'm from the UK so best if I stick to sort of local:)
Also I need to stick to a budget.
I would like to know what else I would need ie hoses, jars ect. I know sod all about them so please be gentle with me..ha

thanks in advance
Colin (UK)

klutz_100
01-18-2009, 06:54 AM
you would get the best advice if you were to give the size of your budget.

Apart from the airbrush itself you will need an air compressor to power it, a regultor valve, a water trap and air hose. At the least I would say you are looking at arond 100 to 150 sterling (and that will probaly be for a cheapo Chinese Iwata or Badger copy)

Do an airbrush and compressor search on eBay and here on AF

If budget is no issue then get an Iwata CR which is an incredibly versatile piece of kit that is easy to use, keep clean and is of highest qlty

zeptrader
01-18-2009, 07:00 AM
yeah sorry forgot to put down a price, I reckon £80.

I did have a look at ebay, or the ebay shops and found this -

For the best in air brush operating
Used for all Air brush work
ART WORK , AIR BRUSH TANNING , NAIL WORK
SPECIFICATION
SINGLE CYLINDER PISTON COMPRESSOR
AIR PRESSURE REGULATOR, LOW NOISE, PERFECT FOR HOME AND WORK.

THERMALLY PROTECTED
AUTO RELEASE PRESSURE AND RESTART FUNCTION

CONSTANT PRESSURE
THIS COMPRESOR IS DESIGNED TO BE USED WITH AIRBRUSHES AND SMALL LVLP SPRAY GUNS.
AND CAN BE USED FOR ALL AIRBRUSH APPLICATIONS / SPRAY TANNING / MODELING / CAKE DECORATING / MAKE UP / TATTOOS / T SHIRT'S / NAIL ART / BIKE HELMETS.
plus
bd-132 double action airbrush

PROFESSIONAL PRECISION DOUBLE ACTION
AIRBRUSH KIT
RRP: £78.99

With a double-action trigger air-paint control, this professional quality airbrush is particularly suitable for detail design work.
Quality metal construction
Applications include,
Model Painting, Body Art, , Fine Art, Car painting, Textiles
This is a double action type of air brush.

Specification:
Dual-action trigger air-paint control
Gravity feed multi angle adjustable side cup
Fluid nozzle............................................ .0.3 mm
Working pressure....................................15-30 psi
Capacity of cup........................................7 c.c.
Supplied in plastic case complete with:
Adjusting spanner
Pipette
Barbed hose connector
PLUS
BD 128p AIR BRUSH KIT (DOUBLE ACTION )

BODY LENGHT 150MM
NOZZLE DIA 0.35MM
METAL CUP 1 X 5 CC
1 X METAL HANGAR
CONTROL : PUSH BUTTON
GLASS JARS 1 X 22 CC
1 X SPANNER

EXTRA JARS CAN BE BOUGHT EXTRA IN OUR EBAY SHOP.
Applications include,Model Painting, Body Art, Hobby and Craft, Fine Art, Car painting, Photo Retouching, Illustrations, Textiles and T-shirt paint
PLUS

AIR BRUSH RUBBER BRAIDED AIR HOSE 3 METRE LONG
ALL YOU NEED IS PAINT AND AWAY YOU GO
AND NOW THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT
YOU ARE BUYING OFF A UK LTD COMPANY WITH OVER 18YEARS TRADING
AND A COMPANY WITH OVER 70,000 EBAY SALES AND 100% PERCENT FEEDBACK
ALL YOU NEED IS PAINT, JUST CONNECT UP
SWITCH ON AND AWAY YOU GO

http://i6.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/29/61/b309_1_sbl.JPG

KevHw
01-18-2009, 09:11 AM
I have airbrushes from the same manufacturers which I believe is "Spraymaster". Infact I have the "bd-128p" but rarely use it and my main brush is a "ABR1005" thanks to a very kind member of this forum. My compressor is not as good (no water trap or regulator) but it does the job.

A word of warning though if you do decide to buy a package deal that includes the bd-128p; when you connect it to the air hose, do not over tighten it. Tightening it too much will cause the rubber seal to slightly deform and block the air passage -> less air pressure -> not enough to suck the paint up out of the cup (gravity fed ftw :biggrin:). It's fine if there's sufficient air. I still very rarely use it as gavity fed cups normally hold more than enough paint for one body and it's very easy to just top up with more paint.

If you take care of your brushes and clean them properly (I don't trust them having Teflon seals so have never risked spraying cellulose thinners through them), then I think you'll be happy without shelling out loads for a more expensive brush, in my opinion. "Cheap package that does the job" :smile:

zeptrader
01-18-2009, 09:36 AM
So you reckon this is a good package?

zeptrader
01-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Spraymaster Complete Dual Action Airbrush Kit With 2 Airbrushes - CPK5012

http://www.simple2trade.com/special_detail.asp?prod_id=235&grpid=235&#prod_anchor

Seems a pretty decent started pack.

klutz_100
01-18-2009, 11:14 AM
It's not a bad place to start at all :thumbsup:

My first compressor was like that and lasted about 1 year. The airbrushes are, as expected Chinese, clones (Badger I think). They work but don't expect very high quality. But they will give you a good place to start and see if you like the sport ;) :)

IMHO the second, external mix airbrush shown in the 2nd link is a complete piece of crap and won't be that much use to you.

This first set you showed is probably better choice and the one that I would chose of the two.

stevenoble
01-18-2009, 12:29 PM
If it's something that you will use often then buy a good one to start and you will never need to buy another.However if you are only going to use it occasionally then no point spending hundreds on one.Same story with the compressor really.The cheap ones are often noisy, don't produce enough air and leave you waiting for the air to build up whilst you are spraying (very annoying..!!!) Have a look at an Iwata revolution CR (link below) great bit of kit and at a very reasonable price.It will do all you require and last as well.

Iwata Revolution CR Airbrush

http://www.hiroboy.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=49&products_id=200

Compressors

http://www.hiroboy.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_keywords=1&plural=1&s=1&keywords=compressor

zeptrader
01-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks for all your input, but I think as a starter I will go for the package I found on the ebay shop (posted above), then at somepoint move onto a better comressor/airbrush at a later date (or when I can justify it to the wife..lol)

Cheers
Colin

Add your comment to this topic!