Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Missing Brake Fluid

smata67
01-17-2009, 05:28 PM
I've had to add a few ounces of brake fluid every 6 months, now I know why. It is leaking out of the master cylinder onto the Brake Pressure Differential Deactivation Switch (2B264) just as described in the recall site. What I have not found is what to do about it. Does the cylinder need to be drained and what parts might need to be replaced?

car17fan
01-17-2009, 05:40 PM
You need to go to a Ford dealer to get a brake pressure switch. It is a dealer only part and comes with an adapter to fit, since the new switch is updated from the one on the van. Keep the top on the master cylinder and unscrew the swith from the bottom of the master cylinder. Keeping the top on prevents any leakage. Easy fix and if you lost your cruise control, this will get it back for you.

wiswind
01-17-2009, 05:44 PM
I only had a drop or so come out when I removed my switch and put the new one in.
The hole is small.....so as long as you have the new switch ready to screw into place right away.....you will be fine.

Until you replace the switch, I would recommend you unplug the electrical wires from the old one.....and set the electrical plug aside.
This will prevent you from having a fire from the defective switch.

Also, the pictures that they link in my signature takes you to, have a couple of pictures that show the process.
I actually did not need to add any fluid....but best to have it on hand in case you do.

smata67
01-19-2009, 04:10 PM
I've taken a good look and the wiring going to the switch is saturated with fluid all the way to where it goes into a wiring harness. Doesn't all of this wire need to be replaced? I couldn't locate the ABS unit, apparently the fluid wicks all the way to it and causes a failure there. Should all of this wire be replaced? And if so, how?

tripletdaddy
01-20-2009, 04:40 AM
If you haven't, you should view the sticky at the beginning of the Windstar forum on the brake switch.

Replacing the wiring is a judgement call. Take apart what can be without damaging it and try cleaning it with some brake cleaner spray. Let it dry and inspect. If the insulation and connector are solid I don't see why wouldn't they be okay. Maybe someone else here knows better. You say the wires are saturated. Are they wet on the outside or in a wire loom, or are they spongy, melting, disintegrating, soaked inside. Wet can be remedied, the others not particularly. Depends if you don't like to rewrap your dried and/or stripped bare wires. It's doable, but you need to do a good job of insulating and protecting them, maybe using wire loom.

northern piper
01-20-2009, 06:53 AM
as T-daddy says this is a judgment call but I'd suspect you'd be ok by just cleaning and rewraping with lx tape. Pull enough tape back though to make sure you're ok. I'd also be looking at the TRS which sits below the brake pressure switch and a bit further midline on the van. When my brake pressure switch leaked (and it didn't leak as much as yours) my TRS got messed up and needed replacement due to fluid contamination. IF you get a flashing OD light or times when the van simply won't start take a good look at the TRS.

Piper

Add your comment to this topic!