BCM programming 02 impala

sirdeeker
01-17-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm a bit confused about replacing the Body Control Module (BCM). First, if you replace it does it need to be reprogrammed?

Second if it does need to be reprogrammed, is it as 'easy' as cycling the ignition off an on for specific time periods as shown in the link below?

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=5823599&postcount=4

My 02 Impala has occasional flashing of the alternator light but what makes me suspect the BCM is the exterior headlights and backup lights will also flash after the vehicle is turned off. It's a random event, it can happen one day, then not happen for 3 days. I've already replaced the old battery. If it's not the BCM, I would suspect a vehicle ground but happening with the vehicle off is what makes me think the BCM.

HeMi101
01-17-2009, 08:48 PM
The impalas are so full of electrical Gremlins, so I don't think i can help with the actual problem.

But as far as BCMs go, yes they have to be programmed when you replace it, and it HAS to be programmed by a shop with a Tech II programmer. Looking at least 75$ to get it done.

SierraK1500
04-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Re programming the BCM in your impala takes 10 to 15 minutes and the cost is free.

Try to start the car.
Leave the ignition switch on for 12 to 15 mins.
Look to see if the Security light is out in the message center.
You should see the battery light on in the message center.
Turn the ignition OFF and REMOVE THE KEY.
Put the key in the Ignition and start the car.

Let me know how you did

John

HeMi101
04-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Sierra, Thats the Security relearn Procedure. Thats for if you replace the Ignition cylnder or the PCM. The BCM has to be actually programmed, all the options need to be programmed into it as well as your VIN.

Add your comment to this topic!