Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Milky substance in intake

Kbrickman
01-16-2009, 11:24 AM
What a joyous season this winter has been..

i took my intake off just now so i could take a look at my failing tps and out pours this yellowish milky substance all in my intake.. ew much. i cleaned my aem intake out as best i could and found that it is most concentrated in the entrance of that small tube goind into the intake. Any ideas what this could be? What i should check for? thanks alot.

01 2.4L z24 with aem short ram intake

Picture.

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww286/silverz24coup/100_1532.jpg

Classicrocjunkie
01-16-2009, 05:21 PM
PCV exhaust recirculating back through the motor mixed with condensation.

This is one reason I only run a breather filter on PCV nipple instead of sucking it back through the intake.

Kbrickman
01-16-2009, 05:28 PM
any chance you can elaborate on how i should go about doing the same?

also, you said that like this is considered normal. thanks cody

Classicrocjunkie
01-17-2009, 12:12 AM
I wouldn't call it normal no...

But putting 2 and 2 together, in the winter when the weather flops from hot to cold back and forth metal forms condensation in your engine bay. I can only guess that's where the milky substance is coming from.

Didn't you have this issue before? Someone had an issue of yellowish white junk clogging their hose coming of the cam covers.

Plug the hole on your intake and buy a PVC breather filter.

Look at my valve cover for reference..

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/4949/20080817image0001eg1.jpg

I also got your AIM message. I've been in the Bahamas since Jan 3rd and just got back a day or so ago, and now had to get back down to college.

Kbrickman
01-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Bahamas? Must be nice =P. Welcome back

Where exactly is your pcv breather filter at? i can see a small one on the top front of your engine but im almost certain i dont have anything around there on my 2.4l. Also, what should i do with the hose that would normally connect to the intake? im assuming this pcv valve is at the end of it but i cant follow it as it goes down between my headers.

Gracias. PS ohio hit its record low since 1994 yesterday, you picked a great time to come back =P

Kbrickman
01-26-2009, 07:02 AM
is there any chance this can be a bad intake gasket?

just recently ive noticed the smell of oil (or things of the such) when the engines hot, and more obviously, white smoke from the exhaust. not excessivly, but its definatly not moisture anymore.

Classicrocjunkie
01-26-2009, 10:08 AM
is there any chance this can be a bad intake gasket?

just recently ive noticed the smell of oil (or things of the such) when the engines hot, and more obviously, white smoke from the exhaust. not excessivly, but its definatly not moisture anymore.

Next time when you do your Oil change, if your oil is that color too then you've got a popped HG.

Bad intake manifold gasket would be causing some terrible gas mileage.

Kbrickman
01-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Well i did what you said. Checked the oil and it was the color it should be. i also bought a pvc breather filter and slapped it on the hose that was putting it all through my intake. One 10 minute ride later. The car is litterally pushing this yellow shit through the filter and dripping onto the car. Since then ive put it back to its original state as i noticed it cause a real rough (pulsating) idle and a mess over my starter.

Oh and i WAS the one who mentioned it to you last winter. Somehow i think it went away in the summer. The expanding and contrasting of something maybe?\

bleh

Classicrocjunkie
01-28-2009, 11:48 AM
You shouldn't be getting that much blow by coming out of the head...

Its most definitely condensation build up from the heating and cooling of the motor in the extreme temps. But thats quite an excessive amount. Do a compression test. This will tell the truth on whats going on. If you have a really weird numbers like... 150-149-110-146 (these aren't the numbers you'll prolly get) but as long as they are within the same tolerance with one another. If you got a 110 and the rest were all 20-30psi higher you have an issue. Either a HG or piston Rings are shot.

Are you letting the motor get fully up the temp or just driving short distances to school and back?

Kbrickman
01-28-2009, 09:25 PM
yep, that 90% of my driving. having that said, would you still reccomend the compression test?

Classicrocjunkie
01-29-2009, 07:01 PM
yep, that 90% of my driving. having that said, would you still reccomend the compression test?

I would, if that checks out fine... learn to let your car warm up before you leave for school... Gotta let it at least hit 195 for a bit so it can burn off the condensation.

Add your comment to this topic!