Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Sportage died on highway and wont start...timing belt??? And How to replace it

MrsSki
01-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Husband driving along a tollway doing 75 mph, pulled up to a manual toll booth, the truck sputtered and then died. It will crank but won't turn over!! Need help or any suggestions as to what may be the problem. Some family members are saying it's either the timing belt or fuel pump. He started taking the engine apart to TRY to get to spark plugs and test the timing. Took battery out to charge it with a pack. Also does anyone have any websites for downloaded repair manual or where to buy one or anything with pictures. Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou

Mrs. Ski

Airjer_
01-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Turning over and cranking are the same thing. It sounds nit picky but its going to make a huge difference in how your problem is perceived. I think what your are describing is a crank no start. You can hear the starter cranking/turning the engine over just fine but the engine will not start.

Does it sound like it is turning over faster than usual?

I think he is on the right track by checking a few basics. Does it have spark or fuel? Sometimes you can remove the oil fill cap and see the cams, do they trun when you try to start the car? if not than its a timing belt. You may also be able to remove the timing cover enough to see if the belt is moving.

LMP
01-16-2009, 05:30 PM
YOU did not mention mileage....70000 miles is a landmark for a new timing belt. Just remove the front cover to see if you still have a belt turning the cams....when you "run the starter" ..:) Usually, the belt just breaks loose...but it happens it will jump a few cogs...
http://www.geocities.com/lmp4203/kiasport/timingbelt_.jpg

register here (for free)
www.kiatechinfo.com for access to KIA technical info

download www.geocities.com/lmp4203/kiasport/timingbelt.zip for info about "how to change timing belt"

Changing the Tbelt at above mileage is "normal maintenance" --tested and tested again in forums - and avoids being stuck in the middle of nowhere in the rain and in the night with the baby crying :iceslolan ....

MrsSki
01-31-2009, 05:20 PM
Thank you for helping....Here is what we did so far...

Bought new battery
Put a new timing belt on
New air filter

And still wont start!!!

The mileage is about 107,000. Here is another question for you guys, Are you supposed to hear a sound from the fuel pump when you turn the key to the on position? My husband who is not a mechanic or electrician borrowed a multi meter/tester and is not real sure on how to use it but when putting the meter on the battery he got a reading of 12.5 and when he put the meter on the fuel pump power, got a reading of 5.0 Not sure if doing it right but seems like there is not enough juice getting to the pump. Any suggestions on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated. PLEASE be very specific when posting on what to do...he does not know what he is doing!!! LOL Sorry guys...

LMP
02-01-2009, 12:54 PM
... Are you supposed to hear a sound from the fuel pump when you turn the key to the on position? ...
...on the FIRST key on, supposedly...for 1 sec...(this is what the look says...still have to verify that) but if you turn the key to ON more times, it will not, so as not to flood the cylinders. HOwever, as soon as you begin starting, then the pump will turn ON..(this is verified).
crank position failure is rather a common occurrence; timing pulses from the crank position sensor are what turns the fuel pump and the injectors and spark ON when starting..and once engine has finally fired up, of course.. CHecking for spark is difficult because of the location but if the fuel pump turns on when starting, then crank sensor is OK.
Yes, if you measure voltage fed at fuel pump while starting, it should be near 12V... if you do this from the access panel under rear seat, you have to reinstall the grounded wire bundle with one of the 4 panel screws.

MrsSki
02-01-2009, 01:15 PM
ok ..where is the crank position sensor and can he test it? Or should he replace it? Please keep in mind that money is TIGHT!!! Again thank you for your help!

Mrs. Ski

LMP
02-01-2009, 05:49 PM
....the crank position sensor (CKPS) is located on the transmission bell housing....quite hard to access.
http://geocities.com/lmp4203/kiasport/cam_crank_sensors.jpg
It is a prime suspect.... in fact, CKPS failure is common to all cars ....but the usual scheme is this: it begins with hard starting, then the car would stop once warmed up, but will restart after cooling down; but it is not impossible it fails on a sudden; other tests would ne needed to confirm lack of spark, lack of signal to the injectors, lack of fuel pump during starting, before committing to changing CKPS . BUt if testing is more expensive than changing the CKPS....then consider it normal preventve maintenance. At this point, symptoms are too vague to pinpoint a single factor. IN fact...is the Check Engine Light ON?
DId you test the fuel pump as suggested in previous post ?

RahX
02-18-2009, 07:53 PM
If the belt broke/jumped time while running you bent some valves man. See it and hear about it all the time from the ol' KIA tech I work with.

JesusFreak4Real
06-18-2009, 08:00 PM
:biggrin:
Did you ever get your Sportage up and going????
Went through same thing with my 2000 Sportage about 2 years ago. It turned about the be the Relays (like fuses) they are about an inch square and black, under the hood, passenger side, near front.
Both of them cost me about $26 total.
After I did all of the work, like you, and replaced the fuel pump as well.

LoveLost13
10-16-2010, 02:24 AM
okay I am having the same problem with my car too it wont start. One day I was getting gas filled up my car drove off got to the fwy and the car just dyed. Pulled over tried to start it and it wouldn't fire just kept trying to turn over. My dad got some starter fluid started spraying that into a tube and the car would turn over, but once he stop spraying the car would die. My car is at the shop now and the guy can not figure out what the problem is? Does anyone think I should replace my wiring harness? or my ecm? :banghead:

LMP
10-16-2010, 07:57 AM
What mileage do you have? Was the timing belt changed already?Timing belt failure is common past 60,000 miles and is symptomatic of your experience. Remove the front belt cover and see the condition.
Veryfy timing belt, belt, tbelt related pictures here:
www.avigex.ca/kia
..Of course, if it would fire up with external fuel supply, then verify fuel pump operation, relays. BOth main relay and fuel pump relay are involved. YOu should hear the pump buzz while starting.

LoveLost13
10-16-2010, 02:04 PM
The car is used from a car lot! So I don't know what kind of problmes it had before I bought it. But the mechanic told me that it was the Cam Sencer and the ECM. The fixed the Cam which was causing a short and the ECM is not working proberly to tell the fule pump to shut off so the car is starting now! Just need to get the ECM fixed.

LMP
10-17-2010, 03:34 AM
.. the ECM is not working proberly to tell the fule pump to shut off ....
....rephrase that in a more explicit manner....
anyway, glad you are on the way to a solution. If you just bought the car, verify front wheel opertion. Front hubs are a common problem . Veryfy front wheels do engage when on 4WD, and disengage when running on 2.

LoveLost13
10-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Thank you for that piece of advice and it is dully noted! Oh and it is 2WD so I will look into that!

Add your comment to this topic!