Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

trying to pin it down

connietnr
01-15-2009, 10:46 PM
I have a 200 sunfire. It has started to make a clanking noise in the front passenger side. I took off the serpintine belt and started the car again. the only pulley that is moving is what I believe is the crankshaft pulley. Everything it tight. the noise is not all the time. the higher you idle the less it is. It sounds as if something is banging around but I cant find it. Dropped the oil pan to see if there was anything in ther but its claean as well. No engine light either. Any ideas???:confused:

GTP Dad
01-16-2009, 07:21 PM
It is possible that the crankshaft dampener is going bad. There is a rubber insert between the two halves of the dampener. If it goes bad it will make the noise you are indicating. The only way to repair it is to replace the dampener. I would go to a wrecking yard and get one. They can be quite expensive new.

jeffh62
10-01-2011, 07:20 PM
I have a 200 sunfire. It has started to make a clanking noise in the front passenger side. I took off the serpintine belt and started the car again. the only pulley that is moving is what I believe is the crankshaft pulley. Everything it tight. the noise is not all the time. the higher you idle the less it is. It sounds as if something is banging around but I cant find it. Dropped the oil pan to see if there was anything in ther but its claean as well. No engine light either. Any ideas???:confused:

have the exact same problem what did it turn out to be?

Tech II
10-02-2011, 10:36 AM
You did not say if there was a difference in noise with the belt removed.....with the belt on, look at the harmonic balancer....is there a wobble to it?

The other possibility is a chain tensioner problem....have to narrow down where that noise is coming from....

jeffh62
10-02-2011, 02:49 PM
You did not say if there was a difference in noise with the belt removed.....with the belt on, look at the harmonic balancer....is there a wobble to it?

The other possibility is a chain tensioner problem....have to narrow down where that noise is coming from....

thanks for reply. it is a 2001 sunfire 2.2. I took the belt off today and ran briefly noise still there so problem is not one of the other pulleys. Does not make noise when you first start car in morning but after you drive for awhile. very noticeable at low idle don't notice off idle when driving to much. kind of a rattling noise. Can the harmonic balencer make this type of noise? balancer seems to run with no wobble?

jeffh62
10-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Must be a chev mechanic out there that has info on this? Seems to be a somewhat common problem but have not seen a definite answer out there. Thinking timing chain but have read some have changed timing chain and noise still there?

thanks for reply. it is a 2001 sunfire 2.2. I took the belt off today and ran briefly noise still there so problem is not one of the other pulleys. Does not make noise when you first start car in morning but after you drive for awhile. very noticeable at low idle don't notice off idle when driving to much. kind of a rattling noise. Can the harmonic balencer make this type of noise? balancer seems to run with no wobble?

e40water12
02-20-2012, 04:33 PM
things to look at:

belt tensioner

Bearings and pulley on alternator.

Timing chain or chain tensioner.

Add your comment to this topic!