Make it sound better!

fender5
01-15-2009, 06:36 PM
So i bought a 04' Tacoma 2.4L and i think its time to make some changes. I love the truck but it sounds very high pitched and ricy. Im looking to deepen that sound with just a muffler if i can. Im not trying to get it to sound like a V8 or a muscle car and i dont really want it to be super loud, just a <$50 investment i can make without replacing the whole system and putting in a catback. Ideas? Thanks.

jdmccright
01-23-2009, 12:51 PM
It's a 4-banger...it'll only sound like the sport/street compact cars and their farting mufflers. You'll have to spend some bucks to get a good (per your taste) sound. The only nice sounding 4-cylinder I ever heard was a motorcycle with an AM exhaust...I swear it sounded like a V8...it was niiiiice.

Or you could install speakers in the bed and pump V8 sounds out as you roll by...jk. If you do find something, please post back so we'll all be enlightened. Good luck!

Toaster88
01-24-2010, 09:43 PM
I recently purchased a 97 4x4 Taco w/a 4 banger. I have been thinking the same thing, it is a very non-descript exhaust note and how to change it is the question.
Very few fours have interesting exhaust notes. One that does is late 60s Volvo 1800S and 123GT. The reason for this is because instead of the factory four-into-one cast iron exhaust manifold they came with a four-into-two manifold, which breaks up the boring drone of the four into a pleasent distinctive four cyl. pitch.
So, if it is possible to locate a exhaust fabricator to make such an instrument we can make some music with the Taco 4.

T88

Add your comment to this topic!