MaxLife DEX/MERC High Mileage... or Dexron VI Straight Up ???

DC1263
01-15-2009, 02:11 PM
So after reading till my eyeballs fell out... So as not to post a dupe !!!

MaxLife DEX/MERC High Mileage... or Dexron VI Straight Up ???

Gonna drop the pan, install a drain plug, new filter and fluid...

How about brazing the plug nut to the outside of the pan ??? So I can get the pan to drain completely ??? good or bad idea ???

Can you Experts offer any advise... ???

Figure I'll reuse the gasket and torque the pan bolts to 10'

BNaylor
01-15-2009, 07:23 PM
If your '06 came with Dex VI then best to stay with it.

It is up to you to braze the drain plug nut but even if you don't most of the ATF will drain out regardless. Where do you plan on mounting the drain plug on the pan?

Note: Even with the drain plug there will still be a few quarts left in the torque converter.

wlkjr
01-16-2009, 12:25 AM
I've only changed mine once but I have to add a little about every two or three months. I don't think getting every ounce out is critical.

DC1263
01-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks Guys...

I try to do as much research as I can before asking questions.

My owners manual says DEX VI, The service manual says DEX VI for 2006, but the D-stick is stamped with DEX III, I realize that DEX VI is the standard, just wondering if yous guys had anything good/bad to say about Valvoline Max Life as "COMPATABLE" ?

Not so concerned with emptying the pan for max fluid exchange,
My concern is for spillage when removing it for filter changes.

BNaylor
01-16-2009, 09:07 AM
The problem is the Valvoline ATF mentioned is really based on the Dexron III standard even though it mentions VI. According to GM you must use Dexron VI only in your application. Older 4T65E autotransaxle GM cars with the Dexron III can use Dexron VI. Plus it doesn't make any sense mixing the two either. Therefore stay with the GM Dexron VI or any aftermarket ATF based on the Dexron VI standard.

The tranny drain plug makes it very easy and less messy for sure.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/lizzywiz/DSC04072.jpg

DC1263
01-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Thanks B...

Not sure what came in the car ?? Like I said DEX III on the D-stick.

Saw your pic a while back, very nice, that's exactly what I am gonna do this weekend.

I am very competent and comfortable with the work I do so I don't ask many questions unless I have information overload from too much research or conflicting information vs. personal preference/experience.

Also, This is my first Pontiac/GP so I'm a little green around the gills when it come to the preferences/particulars of this model.

You guys and this forum are a great help, Thanks Again.

Add your comment to this topic!