Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacing leaf spring bushings and engine ticking...

Florsuzo
01-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Greetings,

Posted this at another forum and got no replies.

Bought my Passport used several months ago. My Passport has the same dreaded ticking issue common to the 3.2L V6s that I've been reading about. Strange thing about my ticking is that it's relatively quiet from about 2-5 seconds after starting first time each day (once the HLA's prime) to about 10 minutes into driving, then it gets noisy for about the next 20 minutes, then gets relatively quiet again (especially if going on the highway for a drive). During the noisy period it sounds just like a diesel. I've taken the passenger side timing cover off to check for hydraulic tensioner play but thus far don't notice any slack in the timing belt. Being a second owner I don't know the history so when I have a chance I will change the timing belt, etc. I've already switched to Rotella synthetic, changed to a reputable oil filter brand, did a Seafoam, etc. and none have made much difference in the noise since I bought it (had 114k on it originally and just completed a second cross country trip in all kinds of terrain, including the dreaded Eisenhower tunnel on I-70 west of Denver). Another strange thing is the quiet-noisy-quiet pattern doesn't seem to be related to outside temperature... it's no different here in south Florida than it was during the nasty Seattle snow storm a few weeks ago. I know that most people say if the tensioner is bad it will quiet down above 2500RPM....I don't encounter this (when it's noisy it's noisy through all RPMs). When it's idling the tapping goes away. Oil pressure ranges from about 70PSI when cold to just on the dot when warmed up. If anyone has any thoughts please chime in.

I also think I have a solution for the horrible wind noise that seems common to these models as well (you know, the sound like you're driving with your windows open at 65MPH even though they are closed). I had a Spacecab that never had this issue, and, was surprised when the Passport did this.

My main reason for this post, however, is advice on changing the rear leaf spring bushings as my ride clunks when turning left or right (it's a definate clunk from the rear and the bushings appear to be worn). I had an Isuzu pickup that didn't have this issue, so, this is something I haven't had to fix yet. I've checked the shocks and they are fine, just replaced the rear pads and rotors so it isn't the brake pads letting go of the rotors when taking off. It also clunks when going over speed bumps that are poorly made.

What's the easiest way to do this (replacing the bushings)? Not to sound stupid but will I need to jack up the vehicle to let the weight off the leaf springs or can I just take them out with the vehicle on the ground? Also, anyone experience the kind of noise that I'm experiencing from their engine? TIA.

Add your comment to this topic!