Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 Accord won't stay running

Yonkin
01-13-2009, 08:24 PM
1990 Honda Accord Cranks - Turns over but wont stay running. Fire seems OK.

New Plus, New Alternator & Rotor, New Wire Harness.

Interesting - When I hold the Key in start position the car is running. Only when I let go of thje key does the car die. Starter appears OK - possibly ignition switch????????????

HELP

jgr7
01-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Yes it sounds like the ignition switch needs to be changed.
Jeff

jeffcoslacker
01-14-2009, 12:55 AM
Yup, the switch.

If you check, you'll probably see that if you let the key come to it's normal position at the "RUN" position, engine off, there will be no idiot lights on the dash...turn it slightly off the rest position, and they come on.

This shows the RUN position's contacts are fragged.

You can get a new switch at a pull yer own stuff junkyard for about $5-
$10...it's not hard to replace. There's two wiring plugs that are just left of the base of the steering column that come from the switch, if you can identify them you can even just plug the new switch in and try it before installing....

That's how they steal those older ones so easy...bring your own switch, reach under the dash and plug it in, off you go....

Yonkin
01-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the help.

Can you advise if I need to also replace the lock/lock cylinder or is the replacement limited to the Ignition Switch?

Also, can I do this myself with very limited mechanical knowledge?

jeffcoslacker
01-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Just the switch, it sits under the lock cylinder and just engages it by means of a nub that fits in a slot, I forget which.

It's not hard to see how to do it once you remove the shell around the steering column (a few screws)...I remember the small screws (6mm I think) that actually hold the switch in place were a bit tricky to get to, you'll need a 1/4" ratchet or driver and an extension to get to them...I seem to remember having to lay across the passenger's side with my head under the column to see what I was doing...not comfortable...but not real difficult. Other than that, it's just a matter of connecting the plugs...

Remember the battery should be disconnected while you do this, so you don't do any unintended arc welding in your column :uhoh:...and don't forget to hook it back up before trying to start it, or you'll go around screaming "NOW EVERYTHING'S DEAD!!!..." and making a fool of yourself until you remember the battery is not connected...:runaround::rofl:

Yonkin
01-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks - You nailed it - Ignition switch. Total repair cost $45 and I was able to complete in under an hour.

Another questyion - Car front driver side knocks during turns. I have ball joitn replaced +/- three years ago. Repair didn not seem to last long. Is this normal? How long can I let this go before repair? I'm going to have to pay to have this one done.

Jim

somick
01-19-2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks - You nailed it - Ignition switch. Total repair cost $45 and I was able to complete in under an hour.

Another questyion - Car front driver side knocks during turns. I have ball joitn replaced +/- three years ago. Repair didn not seem to last long. Is this normal? How long can I let this go before repair? I'm going to have to pay to have this one done.

Jim
It would actually be better to start a new thread with a new problem.

I can only guess that the part that has been installed was after market one. There is a general trend that Accords do not like after market. Unfortunately you will have to do it again.

Good luck,

Sam

Add your comment to this topic!