Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine won't crank, why?

Mom2boyzz
01-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Hi everyone,
Hoping you can help me with yet another problem with my windstar.

It's a 99 Windstar, and now the engine won't start.

You turn the key, and everything electrical comes on; radio, lights, etc etc.. but the engine won't crank. No clicks, bangs, grinds, nothing... silence.

It did this once this summer, and we were told it was the starter.. Put a new starter on it, and it was good for a while. It started doing it again this week. We were told, 'Probably the solenoid', so we put a new solenoid on it.

Still, the same problem.

Now, if hubby crawls under the van, and puts a screwdriver in between the power and the ground of the solenoid, it'll start.. but that's the only way it will start, even with the new solenoid on it.

Not making a whole lot of sense to us, can anyone tell me whats going on??
Thanks

Lyndsay

Greenblurr93
01-13-2009, 10:50 AM
have you checked the relay's?

lets break it down... youve confirmed that from the solenoid and the starter is good, and that the ignition is good... so basically its not getting the signal from the ignition tumbler (where you put the key) to the solenoid.. check to see if theres a relay that isnt clicking, or maybe the tumbler is broken and doesnt send the signal to crank once you go to the 'start' position...

good luck

Mom2boyzz
01-13-2009, 11:02 AM
The relays have all been checked, and are all ok.

There is no clicking sound coming from anywhere, ignition, under the hood, or under the van itself... No sound whatsoever when you try to turn it over.

Thanks

12Ounce
01-13-2009, 11:07 AM
The relays have all been checked, and are all ok.

There is no clicking sound coming from anywhere, ignition, under the hood, or under the van itself... No sound whatsoever when you try to turn it over.

Thanks

I'm betting on the relays ... The PCM relay, the start-prevent relay, etc .. don't expect to hear noises when things aren't working.

Mom2boyzz
01-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Ok... if you're thinking relays, is there a step we're missing in checking them?

Could someone please explain the proper way to check all the relays?

Thanks again!

northern piper
01-13-2009, 11:56 AM
check the TRS. Mine went bad due to a leaky brake pressure switch and would not allow start. If relays are good and starter jumps, TRS is next step.

Piper

12Ounce
01-13-2009, 03:39 PM
You could check relays ... but it is a complicated process. Much better to just buy a couple of new relays of each size ... there are mostly two sizes used thru-out on the '99 ... mark the new ones to keep up with them, and swap them out with suspect relays until something good happens. Easiest to get them from Ford dealer if there is one nearby ... about $12 each.

Like I've suggested:
#304 - PCM Relay
#302 - Start Interrupt Relay
and also:
#301 - SSP2 Relay
#303 - SSP1 Relay
if it ever cranks but doesn't run, include:
#207 - Fuel Pump Relay.

You will find the location of all these relays (near the battery) shown in the glove box manual under "roadside emergencies". BTW, a "clicking relay" is a "clicking relay", nothing more ... it ain't necessarily WORKING!

Good luck!

I agree with the above, the tranny position switch is also a possibility ... but I would try the relays first.

12Ounce
01-13-2009, 03:51 PM
BTW, since your husband already knows how to jump the engine on ... he could just install a jumper wire to that small terminal and route it up near the battery. Tie it off safely somewhere and then it is available to press against the positive battery terminal when needed ... good security device even if you get things fixed. And much safer than crawling under the vehicle.

(I have mine in place.)

tripletdaddy
01-15-2009, 02:18 AM
This may seem redundant as you can get the starter and solenoid to work by jumping it, but before I'd go ripping into a bunch of stuff that is harder to r/r, I'd test the ignition wire to the starter solenoid to be sure it's getting 12v when turning on the key to start. Then work your way backwards towards the ig sw. On TWO of my 95 Fords at the same time, the female spade connector on the ignition starter switch wire, which I think is red/lt blue, to the starter solenoid, had a loose and dirty connection, stranding me on several occasions. Wiggling it was how I discovered it, otherwise I would have been clueless. I finally had to clean it real good and tighten it so it would not wiggle or budge. No problems with either vehicle since! :)

northern piper
01-15-2009, 07:01 AM
this is a very good point T-daddy. I assumed that the starter, connections and voltages were all checked but if you can jump start the starter make sure it's all clean and nice. It's probably (by ford design lol) in the worst place to collect road grime and should annually be cleaned IMO.

Piper

u.p.s.man1
07-04-2013, 09:35 PM
I have this 2002 ford windstar the starter wont crank it was getting switched signal to relay but it had no constant power to relay the reason is ford used a b.s. splice connector in the wire harness just about a foot from external fuse box towards the fire wall. The wire is a light green with violet stripe [black] which there will be two of that color wires spliced into one but the connector isn't water tight so it corroded right apart. It took about 3 hours with tracing wires and i found it, fixed the connection. It also fixed the fluttering guages, almost positive because the cluster and relay are grounded. Any ?s or input let me know, just wanted to post a solution I haven't seen on here. I seen alot of ppl have same unsolved issue. Thank you

p.s. Check starter relays fuses before tearing into wire harness, most people cant handle it. If pin 30 on your starter relay doesn't have constant power and your 10 amp fuse #19 on interior fuse box is good, there is a good chance this is your problem. ill try to upload a pic...

Add your comment to this topic!