Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Noisy front suspension

Meridivs
01-13-2009, 08:05 AM
I have a '92 Pontiac TS SE and it developed a very strange creak in front-right suspension this winter.

The suspension becomes noisy only when I go over a langer bump otherwise it stays quiet.

Do you have any idea about the cause of this simptom (frozen rubber components, ice) and what part might be producing this loud creak and needs to be changed?

LMP
01-15-2009, 12:31 PM
...clicketing sounds could come from any place..tie rod ends, inner and outer, ball joint, top strut mount...;other options include tie rod rubber bellow ratcheting along the tie rod, cross frame behind steering rack rusted and separated from main frame (they use salt on roads over here) ...and if you find out something else, please add it to the list....; front suspension is my troublesome item on this car, including wheel bearings and undersized brake disks...

Meridivs
01-16-2009, 03:31 AM
I think it has something to do with the upper mount of suspension (sound seems to come from the spring+shock absorber area) but I have to check this in a specialized shop to be sure.

Until then - how can I check if there is any play or separation between the cross frame separation from the main frame as this could lead to a very serious problem during driving.

Btw, they are using salt here also as the temperature in below 0 for more than a month. Is there any change this strange suspension creak to be caused by ice in the bushings/between suspension parts?

Add your comment to this topic!