1999 Kia Sportage won't start

jkarnold
01-11-2009, 04:18 PM
After driving for several hours, I went into the mall for an hour or so, and when I came out, my car wouldn't start. It has an new battery and was cranking over strongly, but just wouldn't start. A mechanic from across the street came over and said it was either the spark plugs or the fuel pump. After doing some internet research, many have said it may be the fuel pump relay. Does this sound right to anyone? Where is it located? How do I get to the spark plugs? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

LMP
01-15-2009, 04:22 AM
.. ignition by itself will not come dead on a sudden as there are 2 coils, 4 spark plugs....however, neither pump nor ignition will work with a failed crank sensor...a common problem at that age...but usually it "degrades" progressively, and will begin impairing starting once the engine has warmed up and you stop at a traffic light or for shoppping....then would restart once cooled down.
Fuel pump "not running" seems to have a lot of causes with this car....relay can be one of them too; notice there are 2 similar relays in the box (MAIN and FUEL PUMP)but both are needed for running the pump, so swapping them one for the other would not prove anything...

Add your comment to this topic!