Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can't Drive my LS in the Summertime!!

JSiemens
01-07-2009, 05:48 PM
I have a 2002 Lincoln LS that developed a very unusual problem last summer. When the windows are rolled up, on a sunny day, the engine will not start. It cranks but a "security" light keeps the thing from starting. If I leave the doors open for a while, and after the cabin cools a bit, the car will start just fine. The dealer specified I purchase new security iginiton keys but that did not help. No codes are apparently being stored. Has anyone in this forum ever heard of such a thing? If not, time to trade. I cannot put up with it again this year (and it will be getting warmer before you know it!). Thanks for any input you can give.

shorod
01-07-2009, 08:00 PM
That certainly sounds like a bad solder joint or connection somewhere. As the joint/connection heats up and expands, it goes open circuit. But, I have not read posts about this happening on the LS or any other Ford product. It sounds like an exciting problem to troubleshoot though.... Rockford isn't too far from Cedar Rapids, IA...;)

-Rod

JSiemens
01-08-2009, 06:05 AM
Thank you very much for the input. It would be difficult indeed to locate a bad connection, if that is the problem. I am still leaning toward a solid state device somewhere in the chain of things. They are always heat sensitive in one way or another. If the dealer can't help I have a real problem (and so far they cannot!).

carver32
12-06-2009, 01:09 PM
I experienced this same problem and it went away when I replaced the clock spring to address air bag light, no horn, no cruise and malfunctioning radio controls.

Guy

shorod
12-06-2009, 08:49 PM
That's interesting information. I'll have to keep that in mind, thanks!

-Rod

carver32
12-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Rod,
I was just thinking about my last post and remembered I put in a new battery at the same time. That type of problem would more likely be battery related unless you disagree.

Guy

shorod
12-14-2009, 07:10 AM
Probably more the battery. When you first mentioned clockspring I thought it could be since I figured that the PATS signal went through the clockspring to the key cylinder switch. But, now I remember that on the LS the key cylinder switch is located below the instrument cluster, not in the steering column.

-Rod

danielsatur
12-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Some of the local hardware stores can program replacement PATS keys for $40.

shorod
12-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Depending on the model year, and if the owner has two currently programmed and working keys, the owner can program transponder keys using the instructions outlined in the owner's manual.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!