Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 Venture Headlight Issue

kari426
01-06-2009, 04:25 PM
I have a 2003 Venture. The other night I was driving home and I had no headlights. Only my Brights work. I have the new kind of headlights that are all in one. I don't think both would burn out at the same time. I am not very mechanically inclined so any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I can't afford another repair bill.
Thanks
Kari

merc81
01-08-2009, 10:17 AM
The bulbs are dual type; the same bulb does both high and low beam.
Its common that folks don't notice when one low beam burns out since they still have the other beam and the high beams will work on both sides. This continues until the other low beam burns out and suddenly you notice you have no low beams.

I'm guessing that's the situation you find yourself in. You are going to have to go to wal mart and buy a replacement bulb to be sure that's not what you need before anything else, but I think that's all you will need.

You may have a bad dimmer switch (not likely) but until you replace the bulbs you can't determine that. The dimmer lever can be pulled to change from low to high and held in the forward position for a moment. While held back, both high and low should be on.
I wouldn't even start thinking about the switch until you replace at least one of the bulbs in the headlights.
Its easy to change them, just unfasten the headlight screw and remove the assembly so you can get to the back of it, then twist the bulb to unlock it. Your owner's manual may even detail this effort.

Once you have replaced the headlight bulb, you know its good and if both left and right still fail to work you can begin suspecting the dimmer switch.

John

Add your comment to this topic!