94' Protege DX with SOHC 4cyl "knocking"

reibukan
01-05-2009, 08:40 AM
hi, my engine makes this knocking or tapping noise at idle mostly....seems to quiet down a little when give it gas......i was told might be the "oil galleys" in upper part of engine ; might be "dry"??? I added some Marvel Mystery Oil directly to engine and revved it for a while......can't hear much difference.....can somebody shed some light on this noise for me? is it "normal" for these cars/engines....and what can I do to stop it/quiet it???.....also: why do some Protege's have SOHC / and some have DOHC??? mine has the SOHC ; just want to know what to expect from it ; i just bought it used from Craigslist......thanks:confused:

ganlov@hotmail.com
06-08-2009, 06:22 PM
the knocking you are hearing is your lifters. i had the same problem with my 93 protege dx, the only thing u can do 2 take the knocking away is to replace your lifters. btw its pretty expensive.

Doug Tatham
06-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Check the gap on your lifters. This requires a feeler gage and removing the valve cover. If space is excessive, change out the spacers. The gap grows over time with wear. Follow a manual when doing the testing. The cam has to be in the correct position when testing or you have no gap at all.

Add your comment to this topic!