Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ccv orifice problem 93 jeep cherokee country

needanid
01-04-2009, 09:51 PM
I just purchased a 93 jeep for the winter and I came across a problem that I cant seem to find an answer to online. The cc orifice hose is not connected to anything besides the top connection of the valve cover. Its broken and just hanging lose and produces burning oil fumes. According to the diagram from the link below, it should be connected to....I dont know the "vacuum fittings"?

Anyways, according to the diagram, I am missing the end piece connection that would go to the vacuum fittings. What is odd is that the vacuum fitting has a rubber plug. When I took the vacuum rubber plug out, the engine idled funny. Is it possible that someone put a plug on the vacuum fitting in order to "get away with not buying a new hose?

Please someone help me soon, its -10 and I am avoiding the heater so I dont have to breath exhaust.

Thanks

Andy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/needanid/0900823d801fe73a.gif

MagicRat
01-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Is it possible that someone put a plug on the vacuum fitting in order to "get away with not buying a new hose?

Yes.
This system has a 'metered orifice' in it, which limits the amount of air and fumes that is sucked out of the crankcase. If the 'metered orifice' part is missing, you definitely would have to get a new one, probably from the dealer.

Otherwise, you may be able to fabricate a connection out of universal -type auto parts store fittings. But I would say take some pictures of what you have and go to the dealership and see if you can match up the missing parts.

Be sure to clean out any parts of the hose you are reusing, since they can become clogged.

BTW, having this hose installed and working will extend the life of your engine oil and, ultimately, the engine itself.

sector95
01-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Hi Andy,

There are two connections: the forward connection runs from the valve cover to the air filter box; the second connection runs from the valve cover CCV to the intake manifold. There should be a nipple on the intake for the hose to slip onto ...it's that simple. The system works by drawing filtered air off the airbox through the crankcase, up through the CCV and into the intake. That being said, if the system is clogged you'll be getting oil into the airbox ...most folks don't realize the system needs cleaning every so often ...so yours has probably been neglected over the years ...which is maybe why the hose was disconnected.

Hope this helps

Mike
00XJ

Add your comment to this topic!