Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Stuck in 4HI after replacing TC shift motor...

dman820
01-02-2009, 11:58 PM
So a few weeks ago, i engaged the 4wd on my 95 Jimmy push button and it stopped working. i got it into my in-laws heated garage and narrowed it down to the shift motor on the side of the transfer case. luckily i have changed this before (only a year ago, unfortunately) but the day it stopped working is was -40 degrees celcius so obviously something died due to the cold.

in any case, i got a new motor from NAPA and installed it. I got the truck running and pushed the button for 4 HI and it engaged as usual but now the lights are off and nothing happens. it is apparently stuck in 4HI and nothing happens when i try to change it back to 2HI or 4LOW. I'm thinking it could be something due to not having the wires plug properly seated tho i am pretty sure i reinstalled it properly but from what i can gather from google and the forums is that it may be grounding out. Any idea?? Any help will be muchly appreciated since i have to drive to the city soon and highway driving is clear pavement. I would hate to drive it that far in 4HI but i have to go. Thanx in advance.

MT-2500
01-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Proper testing.
Pull codes and see what direstion that takes you.
Does all shift buttoins light up for a bulb test key on?
Can you hear the shift motor try to shift?
Any lights flashing when you push shift buttons?
Have you tryed backing up and rolling forward or putting transmission in neutral?
Check all wiring real good.

dman820
01-03-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm not sure what "pull codes means" but if it is to hook it up to the tester and get the codes, i don;t have the tools to do that without taking it to the shop.

As for the bulb test, the lights all flash on while starting and once i did the reverse then into neutral trick, it went to 4LO for some reason and then eventually i got it to go to 2HI but nothing after that. The lights all flash briefly then once in a while it will either engage the 4wd or not. I haven't double checked the wiring on the shift motor yet as i just pulled it into the heated garage and we got 2 inches of snow so once it thaws and melts off, i will go under and check it out. Is it possible that i put the shift motor wire plug on backwards? You have to put screw in the bolt to hold it on and i assumed there was only one way to put it on but i am starting to think that i may have put it on upside down. Would have anything to do with it? I was always able to shift it into 4x4 HI from 2HI whether on the fly or not before and only had to shift it to neutral while at a stop for 4LO. In any case, thanx again for the help. Anything i can do myself at home saves me a bundle of shop time charges.

MT-2500
01-03-2009, 04:40 PM
If a 233 transfer case you can ground pin 13 on the diagnostic connector and watch shift buttons for codes.
Post back what the shift buttons do with pin 13 grounded when key is turned on.

Add your comment to this topic!