Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Belt question. Please help

H23A1Lude
01-02-2009, 11:29 PM
I've a 94 Prelude Si, and the A/C has never worked, so I had my motor out, and I decided to take all of it out. Then I got go AutoZone, and they ordered me a belt for "1994 Honda Prelude Si, No A/C" and it is too big. Any ideas what I can do? I need this tomorrow.
Thanks!

jeffcoslacker
01-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Most motors that still come with a "No A/C" (very few) option still have an idler pulley in place of the A/C to preserve the rotation direction and belt wrap angles and harmonics, etc...without it, one or two pulleys could be running without the required amount of "belt wrap" for proper grip, or have a run too long that lets the belt start chattering and overworks the tensioner, stuff like that.

It's usually necessary to install a dummy idler when you delete the A/C comp...they do make A/C delete idler pulleys for some applications, have the parts store check the Gates and Dorrman books...

The belt part number indicates it's dimensions, the last set of numbers is length. If you wrap a string around the pulleys in the proper threading order where everything is rotating the right direction and each pulley has at least 1/3 of the diameter wrapped (required wrap for proper traction on serp belts), then you should be able to measure the length, then get the proper prefix numbered belt with the correct length indicated by the last numbers...you might be able to get away with it....

You may have to experiment with a few lengths, because you have to allow a bit for belt stretch and how much the tensioner pushes in on it.

H23A1Lude
01-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks, man. I just put the condenser back in because the whole belt issue. But she started right up! Only problem is there's a whining noise coming from one of the belts. Not sure which one yet. First time I pulled my motor and changed everything = success!

kris
01-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks, man. I just put the condenser back in because the whole belt issue. But she started right up! Only problem is there's a whining noise coming from one of the belts. Not sure which one yet. First time I pulled my motor and changed everything = success!

Usually the whine is from one of the belts being too tight. Which one, thats anybodies guess.

H23A1Lude
01-04-2009, 04:42 AM
Okay. My guess is, take off the p/s belt, start it up, and see if the noise is there. If it isn't then that isolates it to the p/s. If not, the it's the alternator. Hopefully it's an easy fix. Any suggestions for tensioning? And if you could, check the Exterior/Body/Lighting section because I suck with wiring, and my HID's I just installed are giving me hell :/. On a lighter note, my 8LB flywheel is pretty nice :]

kris
01-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Okay. My guess is, take off the p/s belt, start it up, and see if the noise is there. If it isn't then that isolates it to the p/s. If not, the it's the alternator. Hopefully it's an easy fix. Any suggestions for tensioning? And if you could, check the Exterior/Body/Lighting section because I suck with wiring, and my HID's I just installed are giving me hell :/. On a lighter note, my 8LB flywheel is pretty nice :]

You don't need to remove the belts. Just loosen them a little. See if that helps the noise.

H23A1Lude
01-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Okay, but if it doesn't, then I have to just trouble shoot/isolate the problem? Because it's not a squeak. I don't know how to explain it, haha. I'll figure it out hopefully. I appreciate the help though. Thanks.

jeffcoslacker
01-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Timing belts will howl like a blower if too tight also...

H23A1Lude
01-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Yeah, but I didn't mess with my timing this time around, that was untouched. So it's either the A/C or PS

Add your comment to this topic!