Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Isuzu 3.2 - upgrading to larger oil filter?

Lomotil
01-02-2009, 06:49 PM
I've heard of this procedure (http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARoilFilterConversion/OilFilterConversion.htm) being done on Jeep Cherokees, and wondered if anyone has tried it on a 3.2L Isuzu engine?

If so, what oil filter will fit?

Scrapper
01-02-2009, 07:07 PM
call autozone or advanced and see what they have to say. and are you sure you have room for bigger filter?

Lomotil
01-02-2009, 11:35 PM
There seems to be plenty of room around the filter...

I don't know if it makes any difference, but when I bought the Rodeo, a 5-speed was rarely matched with the V-6, and it's a 2WD model...

It would seem that all you'd need to find is a comparable filter (same threading/gasket radius/etc.) - and after putting it on, determine just how much more oil you will need to fill the engine with to keep it topped off...

The one it's fitted for from the factory just seems far too small for the vehicle.

Has anyone tried this yet? :confused::confused:

suvguy
01-03-2009, 12:46 AM
I've searched quite a bit with Wix, Purolator, Hastings, etc. to find a larger filter with same thread, diameter, and same gasket dimensions and have not found one yet.

That link is the first option I've seen for a larger filter besides using a remote filter mount such as This item: 10695 (http://perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page27.html) which is about $50 from Jegs.com or Summitracing.com.

anthonyn
01-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Try the wix filters. My rodeo calls for 51334. I use the oversize model 51344 for many years with no problems whatsoever. It is significantly larger than the recommended model (51334) but fits easily in the space available.

The napa gold filters are wix filters and their model numbers just drop the leading '5'. So look for 1344 for oversized.

Lomotil
01-22-2009, 10:34 PM
Excellent! Just what I was looking for!

Thanks a ton, Anthony!

suvguy
01-27-2009, 09:37 PM
I picked up a Wix 51568 which is similar in size to the 51344, but has a 16 psi bypass valve which is closer to the factory Isuzi filter of 20 psi (Isuzu 8971406660). Most of the equivalent filters from Wix, Purolator, etc. all have relatively low pressure bypass valves of 8-11 psi. I always wondered if the low bypass valve pressure on such a small filter contributed to the clogged valve lash adjusters which cause the common tick..tick..tick on the 3.2L..and why the OEM Isuzu filter has a bypass valve at 20 psi.

Try the wix filters. My rodeo calls for 51334. I use the oversize model 51344 for many years with no problems whatsoever. It is significantly larger than the recommended model (51334) but fits easily in the space available.

The napa gold filters are wix filters and their model numbers just drop the leading '5'. So look for 1344 for oversized.

Lomotil
01-27-2009, 10:31 PM
I picked up a Wix 51568 which is similar in size to the 51344, but has a 16 psi bypass valve which is closer to the factory Isuzi filter of 20 psi (Isuzu 8971406660). Most of the equivalent filters from Wix, Purolator, etc. all have relatively low pressure bypass valves of 8-11 psi. I always wondered if the low bypass valve pressure on such a small filter contributed to the clogged valve lash adjusters which cause the common tick..tick..tick on the 3.2L..and why the OEM Isuzu filter has a bypass valve at 20 psi. Good observation...

I had an intermittent ticking on mine until I took off the EGR, cleaned it out, and sprayed half a can of carburetor cleaner into the intake hole on the manifold while manually throttling the engine so it wouldn't die (the noise originated from the two pistons closest to the EGR.)

It seemed to solve it for the most part, and I have heard the noise only once since then. Of course, most of the time, the stereo is drowning out any other noise. :screwy:

anthonyn
01-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Like many isuzu owners, I've had to grapple with the lifter tick issue. There is no doubt that the choice of oil filter has a definite effect on this issue. I don't know if it comes down to bypass valve pressure. I would think that a lower bypass valve pressure would ensure that the lifters are not deprived of oil. But, it's all a tricky mess. Ultimately, I've tried virtually every combo of oil and oil filter that I could get my hands on. For my vehicle the combo of the 51344 wix filter and pennzoil platinum have been quiet and stayed quiet for around 4k miles after which I change it out anyways. Some oils like valvoline max life start out quiet and get progressively louder over time. I'm sticking with the wix and PP because it's worked out well for me.

I picked up a Wix 51568 which is similar in size to the 51344, but has a 16 psi bypass valve which is closer to the factory Isuzi filter of 20 psi (Isuzu 8971406660). Most of the equivalent filters from Wix, Purolator, etc. all have relatively low pressure bypass valves of 8-11 psi. I always wondered if the low bypass valve pressure on such a small filter contributed to the clogged valve lash adjusters which cause the common tick..tick..tick on the 3.2L..and why the OEM Isuzu filter has a bypass valve at 20 psi.

Lomotil
01-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Are y'all using full synthetic oil?

Being that I live in one of the Southern-most regions of the US, we rarely see freezing temperatures, and I've followed advice to use either 10W-30 or 10W-40 for our climate for every vehicle I've owned.

I did, however, use 5W-30 synthetic during my last oil change, and I noticed the engine played a Houdini on a liter of oil even faster than it typically does, so I've been replacing it by the quart with 10W-30/40 until my next change...

What does everyone else use on this 3.2L?

anthonyn
01-27-2009, 11:24 PM
My Rodeo likes 10w-30. I live in Northern California. I've tried really thin oils like 0w and 5w, but engine and lifter tick noised increased. I used to use havoline conventional oil and changed it every 3000 miles with no problems. In the last year, I've been doing lots of short trips and as the truck is getting over 124k miles, paying a bit more for full synth gives me peace of mind. It's mainly mental I think. With the current economy, I'm so hoping this truck can get to at least 200k miles.

Add your comment to this topic!