Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

delay in reverse gear

jerryls
01-02-2009, 06:17 AM
I have a 2000 V8. with 160K miles. The transmission was replaced at 60K. A few months ago, it started clunking into reverse for engaging and now it still does but also delays 3-4 seconds before clunking in to gear. Forward gears shift fine. I read on another post that it could either be a solenoid valve or the valve body. Can somone tell me the cost of replacing these items and/or if I can buy the part and do it myself. Could it be something as simple as a trans filter needing replacemnet?
Thanks,
Jerry

shorod
01-02-2009, 10:46 AM
As for whether or not you can change the solenoid pack, that depends a bit on your tools and mechanical abilities. Filling the transmission takes a special adapter since there isn't a dipstick tube. I'm not sure if those adapters are available to the general public or how difficult it would be to fabricate something. I looked at this once and don't believe that it requires pulling the transmission from the car to change the solenoids.

Check your owner's manual, but I think the service interval for the transmission fluid and filter is 150k miles, so if it was replaced at 60k, you probably are not due for fluid/filter change at this point.

-Rod

jerryls
01-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks Rod,
Do you think it' the solenoid pack or the valve body? I have quite a bit of tools and have changed the valve body on my 90 Mercedes. However, it's cold up here in NJ and if I can get it fixed at the Lincoln dealer for less then $400 it's worth it to me. However, I would like to know what the probable cause is, as they may tell me I need a new trans.

shorod
01-02-2009, 11:54 AM
I would suspect the shift solenoid pack. My 2004 V8 had similar symptoms to what you describe and the dealer replaced the solenoid pack, fortunately under warranty. Since it was under warranty, I don't know what it would have cost to have the dealer replace them.

There's a TSB for Delayed/Harsh Reverse engagement which deals with the solenoid body. For the 2004-2005 model year, the TSB is 05-21-8 and the labor for the LS is 2.5 hours, which includes diagnosis time.

-Rod

jerryls
01-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks,
I'll call and ask what that job would cost.

jerryls
01-24-2009, 09:02 PM
I finally got around to bring it into the dealer. They said they tried resetting the computer and it worked fine for a minute then reverted back to the same operation(delay in going into reverse up to 3-4 seconds and now delaying going into drive). They said I probably need a new transmision($3K from them). Does their respone make sense to you?

shorod
01-24-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm certainly not a transmission guy, but if all the gears are working fine and there's just a delay going in to reverse, plus resetting the computer seemed to make it work fine momentarily, I don't see any way they could justify replacing the transmission. It would seem obvious that all of the major functions are working correctly.

Someone recently posted that they had the transmission fluid changed out and that seemed to greatly help the delay, you might try that.

-Rod

discnik
01-25-2009, 12:26 AM
When they re-calibrated the PCM did they update the transmission adaptive strategy for pressure control on engagements ?

It is in Article 01-1-5, on 3.9 L w/5R55N transmission built before 9/27/2000.

jerryls
01-25-2009, 10:03 AM
I agree, but I think since they are not sure, it's easier for them to replace everything. If they just did the solenoid pack for example, maybe a cost of $300-$500? and it didn't work, they would expect I would not be content with the bill! I guess I could try the fluid and filter change.

jerryls
01-25-2009, 10:05 AM
When they re-calibrated the PCM did they update the transmission adaptive strategy for pressure control on engagements ?

It is in Article 01-1-5, on 3.9 L w/5R55N transmission built before 9/27/2000.

The transmission was replaced in 2002 at about 60K miles, so maybe that's not applicable?

Add your comment to this topic!