Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 jeep cherokee 4.0 HO/running rough

steveb2001ZR2
01-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Ok My friend has a 93 4.0 ho vin, code S, he wants to sell it to me for 400.00, brand new tires, so the are worth that, one day it just started running real rough, no OIL in the COOLANT no COOLANT in the OIL, he said he put plugs wires , and what ever it took to tune it up, didnt help,He said it will run, just shakes so bad it will shake vac. lines off, thats pretty bad.
My ? is what do I look for, I have not been over to hear it run, He said it does knock a little, he said you could drive it home ,is only a couple miles.
Iam just wondering if its worth fooling with.
Jeep in good shape, 137 miles, 2 wheel drive, nice body, new tires.

fredjacksonsan
01-01-2009, 11:53 PM
When did it start running rough? Before or after he put the new tune up stuff on it?

Kelley Blue Book puts the value between 885 and 1500, so not a bad deal - unless you need a new engine. I'd suggest going to have a listen to it.

steveb2001ZR2
01-02-2009, 08:43 AM
He said before, thats why he gave it a tune up, thinking it needed one, he thinks worst could be it needs a motor, Iam just wondering, if any of you guys that have worked on these would know of something that could go bad that would make it do that, I thinking of buying it and tinkering with it.

fredjacksonsan
01-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Hard to tell without a better description of the shaking...high rpms or low or both? Does it almost stall or continue to run? What about the knocking...is it a heavy or loud noise, or more like a little spark knock?

A bad piston or cylinder might make it vibrate like that, but again hard to say without a better description. Post back once you've heard it yourself....

Add your comment to this topic!