Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Tahoe Starter or Relay?

dhoeschen
12-31-2008, 09:47 AM
Having starting issues with my 1999 Tahoe.

When turning the key just a click is heard. Lights, fan, radio all work. But wait 5 minutes or so and try again...it starts.

Checked the battery, the cables were a little loose and there was some ice on top of the cells. I pulled the battery and charged it overnight.

2 days later, same problem. Replaced the battery.

3 days later, same problem.

This morning is was -16 and it's not going to get much warmer for a while so I don't want to have to replace the starter if I don't have to. Other threads mention a relay that can be swapped, any details on the relay or other "simple" things to check?

MT-2500
12-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Is the click coming from starter?
Does starter solenoid get good 12 volts to it at small solenoid wire?

dhoeschen
12-31-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm not sure where the click is coming from, it is pretty loud. I assume it's the solenoid "kicking-out" but can't confirm yet.

I haven't checked the voltage at the solenoid yet, (too cold outside) I think I'll need a helper to check that...correct?

j cAT
12-31-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure where the click is coming from, it is pretty loud. I assume it's the solenoid "kicking-out" but can't confirm yet.

I haven't checked the voltage at the solenoid yet, (too cold outside) I think I'll need a helper to check that...correct?

make sure the wires at starter are clean and tight...even the fastener from solenoid to the starter motor...remove the battery ground wire first....if it still don't start correctly,, with a jumper wire jump solenoid...this will most likely be you problem as the solenoid contacts are worn out..

this would be after you checked that you have power to the soleniod from the ignition start relay..

Add your comment to this topic!